Stiletto Trident & JCM800 2204

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaMadness

Reaction score
Hey DOPEMAN,

I noticed you own a 2204 and a Stiletto. I've also got the 2204 and recently picked up a Trident. They are both great amps.

I'm just curious about your opinions of the two amps, compare and contrast, if you will. What do you typically run in your signal chain?
With the F50 and the Deuce around, do you even fire it up anymore? Thanks in advance for your answers.

And if anyone else has something relevant, chime in.

MM

I need more time with the Deuce to really figure it out but I've got the feeling that my 800 is'nt going to get used a whole lot anymore. The Deuce is Marshal-ly but it definitely has it's own voice and I like the amount of gain it has. Definitely more than the 800 but not too much.

I really need to try the Deuce at volume within a band setting though that's the true test of how an amp sounds.

The F-50 and the Deuce should work really well together. I can use the F-50 for cleans and hi gain recto-ish tones and the Deuce for everything in between.

I'm definitely keeping the 800 though I've had it for like 12 years now. I bought it with money I made from some crappy job washing dishes so it's got a lot of sentimental value to me. I'll probably have it buried with me.

Oh.. and I usually don't use that many effects other than a wah. I just started building pedals from kits lately though so I am going to build up an effects chain.

What's your take on the 800 and the Trident?

Just so you guys know, I have the JMP version of your head. Even with the Mark IV and a Dual Rec in the rig nothing will replace 50 watts of Marshall goodness into my 4x12 Greenback cab. I had kind of backburnered it before with the 2210 that I had but it still did classic rock better than the 2210 ever could. Nothing will replace your 50 watt Marshall. I was sad to see the 2210 go but I am over it. Like Dopeman I plan on being buried with my old 50 watt head.

I bought my Trident a last year; unfortunately,the group I was playing with disbanded shortly thereafter. So, I didn't have much time to really fire it up until recently joining another group.

Well, I love them both. If I had to keep only one....... gasp.... that hurts too much to consider. I'm a hopeless gearhead.

I must say I really like the Trident. The extra gain is great. For the first time, I'm simply plugging my guitar into the amp and going for it. It's a punk rock band so I don't really require extensive effects chain. I always had to run some type of distortion into the 800 to get the gain I wanted. A lot of great guitar sounds have been had that way.

Before, i was playing lead for a proggish rock band so I used a lot of effects. With the JCM800 I ran a Boss GT3 in front of it. It gave me the flexibility of multi-effects with a great tube amp base. People dog on multieffects, but with the amount of effects switching I did it was impossible with stompboxes. (Damnit Jim, I'm a guitarist not a tapdancer..hah)

With the Trident, i have not been able to incorporate the new GT8 i bought (conveniently just before said band broke up). It's sounds crappy in front of the amp and in the loop, so I've been considering selling it.

I've been looking around the net, though and I found some people claiming success with other amps by running the head's preamp in the loop of the GT8. Maybe that will work out for me. The other thing is that I spent quite a while dialing in my GT3, so I probably need to do the same with the GT8.

Right on Russ. I doubt I'll sell my marshall either. I've had it nearly 10 years so it's family. I run both my amps through a 1960a w/ GT1275's. I've been looking for a 212 or 412 with greenbacks lately. I saw a greenback loaded 412 on craigslist for $500. If he'll take $400, I might grab it.

Anyway, thank you both for your comments.

$500 isn't bad. I would probably take it if it is in perfect shape. Otherwise $400 if it is a little beat looking.

I just picked up an oversized recto 4x12. Super clean. I haven't put too much time on it yet, but I like it so far.

Russ, what is the difference between the 2204 and the jmp that you have?

Latest posts

Back