Stiletto not loud enough??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippingrudy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I purchased a Stiletto Deuce series 1 about two months ago. When I bought it the guy told me the tubes have about 60 hours on them which probably means 80 or 100 hours.

I've noticed that I really have to crank the amp to get it loud enough for live work. For example, with the effect loop switched out I have the channel volume up to 11 or 12 o'clock on channel 2.

I've owned the Single Recto, F100, Mark III and currently a Mark IV and I never had to crank any of them that high to get a decent volume. All of these would rip your head off at that volume.

I wonder if it needs new power tubes or is it just underpowered?

I've noticed a similar thing with mine as well. Everything is set up properly... 8 ohm out into an 8 ohm cab. I *think* part of it is the master volume has a very smooth taper to it where as other amps get loud really fast so it doesn't 'seem' as loud even though it is. Ie 5 oclock on the Deuce = 3 oclock on another amp.... ?

But I definitely know what you are saying my F-50 seems to have a lot more power than my Deuce.

My Ace 2x12 combo can shake the painings off the walls with the volumes at less than 12:00.

i find my ace needs the volume controls 11-12.00 in true bypass. my fender is 60 watts and sits at 9.00.the deuce should surely be pumping at 12.00. but if you see the manual most of the suggested settings are about that, and as others have said the pots taper up more than most amps.

id still reccomend getting it checked over by a tech, any second hand amp should really have a going over.

When you play live are you using a PA?

THere is no way you should need that sort of volume if your band is being properly mixed at house front.

actually i notice that with my Deuce series I also . . . my mark III is way louder than the Deuce, especially on the clean settings, if i want to really cut thourgh in a band situation, the master have to be set louder than 12:00.

and i dont use the loop at all, i really dont like the drop in volume when it's on (plus the tone suffer a bit too, imo). :?

I'm going to get to use mine with a drummer at volume this weekend for the first time so I'll report back about it.

I've only used both my Boogies at home and haven't really been able to crank them up to stage volume yet but at lower volumes (10/11 oclock and below) the F-50 definitely 'seems' louder.

Like I said before though I think it may be the taper on the volume pot.

Latest posts

Back