Stiletto Deuce vs. JCM 800

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
I want that Marshall sound, but with a little more balls.

I really like Tom Morello, Slash, and Mike Mushock from Staind. I also like the early Tool Marshall tones.

which one would fit me better?

You really are going to have to try both amps and see for yourself BUT I will give you my opinion:

If you want the Marshall sound then get a Marshall!

:lol:

The Stiletto sounds a LOT like a Marshall but it does have its own voice. I've had the same JCM800 for about 12-14 years or so and I would definitely take the Stiletto over the 800. Mostly because of the versatility more than anything else. The 800 is a great amp and has great tone but imo it's a 1 trick pony. I can pull a LOT more tones out of my Stiletto and I love all of the power options it comes with. It also has a lot more gain on tap as well. If you want a lot of gain with the 800 you are going to have to mod it or use a pedal in front (something I'm not very fond of).

But if you really want to sound like Morello or Slash then get a Marshall. I would recommend looking into one of the channel switching 800's with reverb and the fx loop though.

Im going more towards the Stiletto.

Can the Stiletto pull off Slash and Morello tones well?

if you really want that hot rodded marshall with more gain, my suggestion is a splawn amp, they are great amps.

http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps_products.htm

I just posted a clip on YouTube doing Bulls on Parade with 2ch DR. There's also a couple Tool clips. I liked the tone. dwq1971 is my username there.

I haven't found a Tool sound that has the Marshall feel. I know he used them, but I don't know for what or how.

I do like the Stiletto's and have never found a Marshall that I liked. Granted I haven't tried the JCM 800 or 900.

I'd agree with Charlie. I own a JCM 800 2204 (50w Horizontal Input) and a Stiletto Trident. The Stilettos are much more versatile than the JCM800 for obvious reasons. A used JCM800 could probably be bought for less than a Stiletto, if that is a concern. If cost is not a concern, I'd probably try the Stiletto and the reissue JCM800 and see which you like best. Good Luck!

oh yeah.. somebody remind me what the GAS acronym stands for.

I A/Bed our stiletto against every marshall at work (ok, not every one. DSL100, TSL60, 2203x) and I liked the Stiletto more in every case.

I did think it sounded better through 75s than through V30s though.

MesaMadness said:
I'd agree with Charlie. I own a JCM 800 2203 (50w Horizontal Input) and a Stiletto Trident. The Stilettos are much more versatile than the JCM800 for obvious reasons. A used JCM800 could probably be bought for less than a Stiletto, if that is a concern. If cost is not a concern, I'd probably try the Stiletto and the reissue JCM800 and see which you like best. Good Luck!

Gear Aquisition Syndrome

Having owned a few JCM 800's in the past, I just gigged with a new Stiletto Ace Head Unit this past weekend. Using the "Crunch" mode, the tone was very much like a JCM 800 type sound...and I still had a great clean clean channel and solo boost to use. If you want that exact Marshall type sound, get a Marshall. If you want something that can do the JCM 800 type sounds with a lot more versatility and options, get the Stiletto.

MesaMadness said:
I'd agree with Charlie. I own a JCM 800 2203 (50w Horizontal Input) and a Stiletto Trident. The Stilettos are much more versatile than the JCM800 for obvious reasons. A used JCM800 could probably be bought for less than a Stiletto, if that is a concern. If cost is not a concern, I'd probably try the Stiletto and the reissue JCM800 and see which you like best. Good Luck!

I hate to be the nitpicky ******* of the group, but if you have a 50 watt head you have a 2204.

Oops, you're correct it is the 2204. That's not the first time I miffed that and probably not the last. Maybe I subconciously wish it was a 2203. Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.

Thats a very good price. For another $250 it can be modified in any nuber of ways (if needed) to make one very smokin hot amp-far more versatile then any Marshall I've ever played.

Actually, if you live near Hollywood, it costs less than $250 for the mod. They quoted me $120 and only charged me $100.

Also, between the JCM and the Stiletto, I always go two channels. Just keeps the versatility up.

Latest posts

Back