Stiletto Deuce through Greenbacks?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwayne

Reaction score
I see a Stiletto Deuce in my near future. I've got a Germino 4-12 with the Heritage Greenbacks that I plan on using with the Deuce. I think this will be a match made in heaven but I'd like to hear from any users who are running, or have run their head through these speakers.
TIA,
gary

I dont want to start a bashing session (as in, on me). I have the Deuce. It sounds better with G75s. IMHO the greenbacks distorted too soon and get real flabby bottom..... Add the rectifier tube setting on top of that and you have J-Lo's butt.

Guys talk about the flabby bottom with the Recto's yet they are going with Greenbacks. Then they use a floor preamp to remove the flab. Never understood this. I prefer amp distortion, not speaker distortion. Richey Blackmoore got speaker distortion. Great player, not my favorite guitar sound at all. Billy Gibbons, amp distortion, great tone.

Greenbacks were for the day when Marshalls had very little distortion. So guys were trying everything to get more. High gain pickups( dimarzio Super Ds), pre-amps on the floor (MXR dis +), and yes, speakers that distorted sooner(greenbacks). Guys ***** about G75s yet I've always been able to get great guitar tone and I always used G75s. I want to hear the amp not my pickups or speakers that break up. Just my opinion guys.....

My Current rig is:
Stiletto Deuce head
LoneStar Classic head
Two Marshall 4x12s loaded with G75s
Redzone - amp switcher.

Ok, let the bashing begin.

Well I have the same responses here. I have the greenbacks and I did not like the tone, I added an EQ to the mix and holy crap! These things are beasts now. It's a personal preference. Everyone in here is going to like something different, but I personally love my setup now.

I'd have to agree on the G75's with the Stiletto. I have a Mesa Traditional 4x12 with the V30's & I like the tone of the Stiletto through the Marshall 4x12 better. On the other hand, my Diezel amps sound like crap through the Marshall cab & sound really good with the Mesa cab. Different combinations for different folks I guess?

When I first got my Stiletto (Deuce stage 1), I liked it best through my Marshall 1960a cab (G12T-75). I still like it, however I prefer certain modes/tones through other cabs. I think the cleaner modes and more old-school dirty tones are GREAT through Greenbacks (mine is a Marshall 1960AX cab), and I prefer the heaviest modern tones through the oversized Standard Recto cab. If I had to choose ONE cab for everything, it would probably be my 70's Hiwatt SE4123 with vintage Fanes. Hope this helps.

Brent
bgroupmusic.com

Thank you for the well-put replies. I already have the Germino cab and it sounds GREAT with my Bogner XTC so it will not be replaced - ever. If I don't like this cab with the Stiletto, I will buy another. I was hoping I could get by with just one cab. If not, that's no biggee. Again, thanks for the replies and I'll try and post a follow-up with my findings (probably in a couple months).

Gary

Latest posts

Back