Stiletto Ace Clips?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried one of thes out at a store on a recent trip. The 2nd channel was just fantastic, the best marshall tones ever! Much more crunch and less smoothness compared the the lonestars and Marks (I'm not a recto kind of guy). Unfortunalely the clean channel was uninspiring, sounded kind of flat an lifeless. Also reverb would be nice

dancullinane said:
I tried one of thes out at a store on a recent trip. The 2nd channel was just fantastic, the best marshall tones ever! Much more crunch and less smoothness compared the the lonestars and Marks (I'm not a recto kind of guy). Unfortunalely the clean channel was uninspiring, sounded kind of flat an lifeless. Also reverb would be nice

What kind of guitar did you use on channel 1? I found the opposite to be true of channel 1's clean.

dancullinane said:

The clean needs pretty extreme settings to bring the zing into the sound. With 'bucker guitars you need to really dial up the presence and treble to get sparkle.

FPFL said:
The clean needs pretty extreme settings to bring the zing into the sound. With 'bucker guitars you need to really dial up the presence and treble to get sparkle.
YMMV - I did not find that to be true at all. Tite Clean and Crunch modes both have plenty of sparkle for me.

cvansickle said:
FPFL said:
YMMV - I did not find that to be true at all. Tite Clean and Crunch modes both have plenty of sparkle for me.

Ditto, I demoed the Ace with two different guitars and both slayed on cleans.

Crunch isn't technically a clean mode IMO but I agree it doesn't need the extra high end push.

Well, tht might explain it. I was using a crummy Epiphone LP that was in the store. If I see another I may have to try it again with different guitars. Why didn't they put a reverb on that amp. If the cleans are as good as you say, sounds like it would be a perfect combo with some verb.

I'm also wondering how the Lonestar sounds with el34's in it. Does it make it sound more like the Ace, or is it more Boogie-like still on the 2nd channel?
Thanks
DC

The Ace sounds killer with a quality LP straight into the amp. My fav setting was second channel in recto tracking and Tite engaged. The fluid was a bit over the top for the Gary Moore type stuff.

dancullinane said:
Well, tht might explain it. I was using a crummy Epiphone LP that was in the store. If I see another I may have to try it again with different guitars. Why didn't they put a reverb on that amp. If the cleans are as good as you say, sounds like it would be a perfect combo with some verb.
DC

I think reverb would be complete overkill except in studio situations where I'd use a dedicated rack unit anyway. The sound is so big, when dialed in right, I don't even use the excellent reverb on my g-major, there's no point. I do like a dab of delay though. Mmmmm delay...

-P

dancullinane said:
Well, tht might explain it. I was using a crummy Epiphone LP that was in the store.
DC

yeah the guitar makes all the difference in the world. if you can look around g&l guitars. not many stores carry them but some of the best guitars around. i have 3 invaders, 1 asat, and 2 basses. best axes around

about the ace clips, i haven't had any luck finding any on the internet, but a guitar magazine (guitar one i think, but im not positive) did a review on the ace. if you have "comcast cable", you can find the review in the "on demand section".

open up the on demand screen, then select "music", then "guitar lessons", then "guitar wold", then "gear demos", then scroll all the way down to "stiletto ace". it will be available until 11/3/06.

it's like a 5 minute demo that goes through all the channels and he plays short clips, and shows you what settings he's using. it's worth a look if you have it. :)

all is forgiven said:
about the ace clips, i haven't had any luck finding any on the internet, but a guitar magazine (guitar one i think, but im not positive) did a review on the ace. if you have "comcast cable", you can find the review in the "on demand section".

open up the on demand screen, then select "music", then "guitar lessons", then "guitar wold", then "gear demos", then scroll all the way down to "stiletto ace". it will be available until 11/3/06.

it's like a 5 minute demo that goes through all the channels and he plays short clips, and shows you what settings he's using. it's worth a look if you have it. :)

What is "Comcast Cable"? :?:

The reason I am searching for clips, is that I have the GuitarOne issue that has the review on this amp, but there was no CD supplied with it.

In a different thread I pointed out that the link at the bottom of my sig is ALL clips recorded with the Ace.

-P

Back