Stainless fret wire?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryjan

Reaction score
My #1 axe needs some frets. I was thinking about doing them in a 6100 size stainless. Any negatives to stainless over nickel/brass?

24 pages of pros and cons on the Gear Page:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=217983

Easier to bend strings, but the strings wear out faster.
Last forever, but expensive and hard to install.
Tone? The usual can o' worms. :D

MrMarkIII said:
24 pages of pros and cons on the Gear Page:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=217983

Easier to bend strings, but the strings wear out faster.
Last forever, but expensive and hard to install.
Tone? The usual can o' worms. :D

Do you have personal experience with stainless steel frets causing strings to wear out faster? I have one guitar with stainless steel frets and my strings don't wear out any faster on that guitar than they do on my others and I play pretty aggressively.

I love them and would put them on all my guitars if I could. They're great to play on.

Stainless will last an incredibly long time. Expect to pay more for a refret job because they are more difficult to set and crown. Check references on luthiers. I strongly suggest getting the neck "PLEKed" after the refret.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. My current guitar is the only guitar I have owned that has stainless steel frets. It took me a while to get use to them as I do believe there is a difference in tone (brighter, not as warm sounding as nickel). It also took me a while to figure out that the frets were the difference I was hearing. I know some people disagree, just my opinion.

On the positive side, you will never have to have a refret again if you go with them. They also feel nice too. Very quick fretting. Glassy feeling.

I would suggest playing a guitar with stainless steel frets and see how you feel about them before committing yourself. Some people love them. I for one was a little disappointed at first for not getting nickel frets, but they have grown on me. I do eventually want to get another guitar that has nickel frets though.

Good luck!

I had a very warm/dark sounding USA Hamer Standard redone with stainless. I liked the tone of the guitar but after the stainless fret job it was unbearable to listen to. It had this ungodly icepick to the eardrums on the 3 plain strings. Absolutely ruined the guitar IMO. No more stainless for this guy.

Back