SRV from with a LP and a roadster?? Why yes, yes you can!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerrules47

Reaction score
So I am surfing around the internet lately and decide to youtube some guitar lessons. The main riff for SRV's rendition of Voodoo Chile' has always escaped me to a certain extent. I mean I've got the general groove of it, and people recognize it when I play it, but I couldn't get that swing that SRV had. So I youtubed for lessons on it, to see if I could find someone that was showing it right. Well, I found a good video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5xOcMJpTUk and I decided to fire up the roadster and try and do it right.

A few minutes into the session and I was playing it better than I've ever played it. I was thrilled. However, I was in channel 3, with my band's voicing on that channel. To avoid messing around with those settings, I moved to ch2 in brit mode and started playing. I was very happy with the sound, however it was missing something. I started dialing in the sound.

I have it at these settings now

Mas 2
Pres 2
bass 12:30
mid 10:30
treb 2:30
gain 2

The output volume needs to be up there to get the real groove going. It was really shaping up with my LP in the middle pickup position, but then I was talking to my wife and had the amp on mute, I was lazily flicking the pickup selector while she was in the room. Inadvertently I left it on the neck position and when she left, I turned on the amp... OMG SRV heaven!!!

Super clear notes, nice full bass percussive sound, I am freaking out. Moving the volume pot on my guitar around only affected the gain.. and overall volume, but not the clearness of the notes nor the percussive sounds. I really didn't think I could achieve this with my LP, and because of that, I've been gassing for a nice strat for a long time. So I guess my wife is partially responsible for saving the family around 2 grand eh?

Back