Splain to me the difference in a Caliber 50+ and a Mark

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottcrud said:
You're right about COC, but they're a professional touring band with a soundman for the front of the venue and a monitor soundman for the stage sound, I'm pretty sure they don't have to run their amps as loud as a local band who doesn't have the benefit of having separate monitors for each guitar in front of them etc. I've been using mine since 1991 and I'm talking from experience. I've also owned a Marshall 2205 and a Traynor YSR-1 both 50 watt heads that just annihilated my .50 cal volume wise. I don't have to worry about volume issues anymore with mine because of the before mentioned modifications. If it's loud enough in the stock state for you guys then GREAT, but it wasn't loud enough for me.

Why wouldn't Weatherman (the guy that plays the recto's in COC) use just one recto then if it was so much louder than Pepper's .50 cal's? They both run two. Typically, you'd want to match your bandmates stage volume. You have to push those recto's to get a decent tone out of them too, so i'm sure he's got them fairly loud.

Is the traynor a non-master volume amp? Those old non-master amps are alot louder than most modern type master volume amps. Marshall's are freakin loud as hell too. Those old marshall's are very conservatively rated, they actually put out closer to 70 to 80 watts full tilt.

I've played alot of 50 watters, and the .50 cal hangs up there quite fine compared to most of them.

Maybe there was something wrong with yours?

Nah, had many a tech check it out, my main problem is I play with really loud drummers, which in turn makes me play louder, we got the reputation around Austin as being "Motorhead" loud. People would come up to me after the show and say you guys were freakin LOUD. Of course after I had my Head modded. Before I had the head modded I was using the .50 cal as a preamp and using a 500 watt peavey power amp, my tone was real similar to Tommy Victor from Prongs tone on Cleansing back then.

So i've had a Mark III simul-class red stripe for a few days now.

I'd say the Mark III and .50 cal + are pretty similar. I think the .50 is a little darker on the lead channel though, maybe voiced a little more towards the lower mids? while the Mark has has more higher mids and highs. They both have about the same amount of gain. The Mark III is louder, but the .50 is still plenty loud.

As far as cleans, they're close too. The Mark has more clean headroom obviously, and i think it's a little easier to dial in both a good clean and lead sound at the same time with the Mark III.

R2... don't really dig this channel. Sorta marshally, just not as good, but i'm sure it has it's uses.

Mark III = more tonal versatility

50 caliber + = great lead channel (just as good, if not better than the MK III), good clean.

Yep, I'd say your assessment is right on. The lead channel of the .50 cal+ is darker than a MKIII lead ch. And you can't really dial it out. A lot of Marshall guys that normally don't like Boogies like my .50 cal...So maybe the mid difference in the EQ is closer to a Marshall on the .50 cal.

Latest posts

Back