Speakers.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dskynyrd

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this board and have just bought my first boogie amp.
I have a 1990 mark IV wide head and am currently playing through a 2 12 cab with celestion 70 watt speakers .
I'm looking to buy a new cab maybe a boogie 4-12 or marshall 1960 and would like to know what you think would be a good speaker .
I'm thinking maybe 2 celestion g-12m greenbacks and 2 h 30's
any info????
thanks Mark

I use a V30 paired with a G12H30 and I think it is about the best sound you can get from a MkIV.

And I have spent a lot of money on speakers to figure that out...

BA

Hi,

The EV is a very good speaker and some people (Marc Knopfler, Garry Moore, ...) have four of them in their 4x12" Cabs. O.K. - they don´t carry their cabs themselves. :wink: I have some problems with the high frequencies in high gain modes but I dislike this more in a MK I - III than I do with the MK IV, where this speaker fits quite well.
in a 4x12" cab the Vintage 30 is a very good speaker.
V30 + EV is verry good, too.

But let me tell you about something else: After trying a lot of speakers and cabs , the speaker I finaly ended up with is: JBL D120F

Maybe only a few people know this speaker, ´cause it was only build in the 60´s and early 70´s. The D120F is hard to find and expensive.
But sometimes you can see them on ebay.
It has an Alnico magnet, as the Altec 417H has, which also is a superb speaker. The D120F handles arround 150 W and is louder than most other speakers (far over 100 dB). It normaly is grey but the ones Fender used (older Twins, etc.) are red.
This speaker is playing in a class of it´s own for me. I like it best for clean and distortion sounds, especially with Boogie and Fender amps.
The Allman Brothers only used this speaker in their early days (don´t know if still). They played Boogies, Fenders and Marshalls through it.

So my suggestion is: If you can find a JBL D120F somewhere, try it out.

I'm using an 1x12 EV + Mesa 4x12 w/V30 + Ampeg 2x10 (stock ampegs). Sounds good for my purposes, but I'm on the Stoner/Sludge side of things so your milage may vary.

Latest posts

Back