Speakers for DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightbeamHealing

Reaction score
Okay. So I have a DC-5B Combo with the black shadow speaker, and I love how that sounds. But I also have a old crate 2x12 combo, that I took the head out of and am currently using as a cabinet, running in parallel along with the black shadow.

As you can imagine the speakers in the crate cabinet sound pretty crumby. They are really very harsh speakers, with a pretty unpleasant tone.

My question is, what do you any of yall think would be a nice pair of 16 ohm speakers to get for this cab.

I play in a progressive death metal band. i want to be able to keep my tone as tight as possible, with a decent overall balance of frequencies. I want it to be loud enough to be able to project and cut through the mix in any normal gigging situation.

Thanks a lot,

Nick Landt

When I played strictly metal, I used Vintage 30's.
Now, we play a mixture of stuff from Rush to Flyleaf to Sabbath to Rev. Horton Heat. My cab has 2 Vintage 30's and 2 Heritage 30's in it. It holds together really well, although the Heritage speakers are only rated at 30 watts, so in a 2x12 they might breakup too quickly.

In all of my combos, I use the Celestion Black Shadow MC-90's, with the exception of my Heartbreaker which has Weber Californias in it.

I would say, for my tone because that's all I have to go on, that 2 MC-90's or 2 Californias are what I would use in a metal band with a 2x12 cab.

You might check Avatar speakers out. Sometimes they have closeouts on test speakers.
They also sell Hellatone 60L's on ebay for dirt cheap. They are a broken in Vintage 30 that sounds a little warmer and has more bass. The last pair I bought cost me around $100 + shipping! Pretty cheap for 2 good speakers. I hate the fact that they are made in China, but so is my BBQ grill and I use the hell out of it too!

Just out of curiosity, what Crate amp was in the cabinet? If it was a Blue Voodoo, I might be interested in trading the rest of the mod kits that you were interested in for it.

Monsta-Tone said:
When I played strictly metal, I used Vintage 30's.
Now, we play a mixture of stuff from Rush to Flyleaf to Sabbath to Rev. Horton Heat. My cab has 2 Vintage 30's and 2 Heritage 30's in it. It holds together really well, although the Heritage speakers are only rated at 30 watts, so in a 2x12 they might breakup too quickly.

In all of my combos, I use the Celestion Black Shadow MC-90's, with the exception of my Heartbreaker which has Weber Californias in it.

I would say, for my tone because that's all I have to go on, that 2 MC-90's or 2 Californias are what I would use in a metal band with a 2x12 cab.

You might check Avatar speakers out. Sometimes they have closeouts on test speakers.
They also sell Hellatone 60L's on ebay for dirt cheap. They are a broken in Vintage 30 that sounds a little warmer and has more bass. The last pair I bought cost me around $100 + shipping! Pretty cheap for 2 good speakers. I hate the fact that they are made in China, but so is my BBQ grill and I use the hell out of it too!

Just out of curiosity, what Crate amp was in the cabinet? If it was a Blue Voodoo, I might be interested in trading the rest of the mod kits that you were interested in for it.

Okay thanks a lot for all the info. I may looking into what Avatar is selling. Or I may just try to find a pair of MC 90's on ebay as well. I have seen them up there a few times.

Also the crate amp was a crappy $300 solid state combo that was 120 watts. Its was called the Crate XT120R.

Has anyone played Carvin speakers?

This one here looks like a killer deal, http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=GT12-16&cid=70

It says that it compares closely to the Vintage 30.

It has decent reviews on here too, http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Carvin/GT-12-8+Speaker/10/1

Thanks,

Nick

I had a few Carvin cabs a long time ago. They all had the British style speakers in them and all of them got replaced very quickly!
They just didn't have the same thump that my Vintage 30's had.

Monsta-Tone said:
I had a few Carvin cabs a long time ago. They all had the British style speakers in them and all of them got replaced very quickly!
They just didn't have the same thump that my Vintage 30's had.

Ah okay. Well that's good to know. I wonder if those Carvin speakers i posted are the same ones that you had. Hmm. It would be nice to see if there is anyone on here, who has tried those speakers.

I guess I got some saving up to do regardless. Lol.

Latest posts

Back