Speaker swap

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaENGR412

Reaction score
So I had to take apart one of my cabs last night in order to replace a defective speaker. Mesa sent me a new C90 to take the place of one whose center dust cone was coming off, and creating a monstrous buzzing when played through. Since the speaker was relatively new, I decided to talk to Mesa about it, and they sent me another one, and a return label to ship this one back to see it anything was wrong with it. Anyways, I am sure this has been talked about on here somewhere, but I did find am interesting thing while I was taking the cab apart and performing the swap. First, the new speaker came with no label on the back of it, the "Black Shadow" Label was just laid inside the box, and I put it on after I installed it. Second, the small white printed logo on the side of the magnet on the speaker looks like this:

IMAG2460-1.jpg

I find it interesting that it reads G12-80. Makes me wonder how this differs from the Classic Lead 80 that I have heard this speaker is designed around. Cool stuff though.

Here is one of my "x-patterns" in all of their undressed glory:

IMAG2458-1.jpg

It was a super simple fix, especially with the straight baffle cab. Lots of room in there. Now it is back to sounding great after some tender "breaking in" time :lol:

-AJH

That is very interesting that it reads G12-80

Check this thread out

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95317

Thanks for sharing that droptrd. Great comparison vid. I prefer the C90's in it.

fluff, after taking a look at the link droptrd shared, I am guessing that the labels are either different or the C90's are singled out by not being badged with the CL-80 large round sticker from the Celestion Factory, because they do sound quite different in the video.

-AJH

droptrd said:
fluff191 said:
:shock:

Dude the G12-80's ARE the Classic Lead 80's arent they?
I thought so too but Im very confused now

Yeah I don't get it either. A G12-80 in the outside world IS a Classic Lead 80.

http://www.tubedepot.com/sp-cel-g12-80.html

:?:

yhst-8476489043850_2158_15396070

The back center of this speaker is different than the C90's. There is a hole all the way through the C90, in the middle of the magnet, with a sort of Mesh metal circle grille on the back, as shown in this screen shot (as you can see, I had to look up how to do it too lol)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/MesaENGR412/Screenshot2011-06-08at10026AM.png

the CL80's hole is significantly smaller, and uncovered. The V30 definitely doesn't, the center hole in that speaker is filled in solid.

-AJH

so who has a CL80 so we can compare codes from the 2? Do we have to call Mystery Inc.? :lol:

To add more to the confusion I read somewhere that the Classic 80 was Celestion version of sound like an American Jensen speaker but handling much more power.

(note: Remember I read this, this is note my opinion. I think Jensen are now produce in Italy[?] Not sure though).

hmmm.....we need to get to the bottom of this. :wink:

I have a brand new C90 in a box in storage I bought for a F50 combo I had around 8 years ago. Im gonna dig it out today. If I ever finish my theile cabs Im building, I could do an AB - sorta. I also have a WGS BL80 (CL80 clone)

Latest posts

Back