speaker questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rut

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently built a Mesa Mark II clone (except with 6v6's for lower power). I'm currently using a Weber 12F150 speaker. While the clean sounds are quite good, the highs seem a bit harsh, particularly for overdriven tones.

Can anyone suggest other speakers that might be good for this amp? I was thinking about a Weber Silver Bell.

Thanks,
Rut

Hi Rut:

That's impressive building your own MarkII running on 6V6s.

Recently I've been meddling in Weber and Tone Tubby speakers.

If you want to smooth out the highs, use 12A150. The alnico magnets tends to compress at high volume. A 12A125 would work, its that it tends to distort quicker (not as high voulmes).

But the trade-off using alnicos, its that you loose some of the aggressiveness of ceramic magnet speakers which is not necessarily good or bad but matter of preference.

Are you using dual 6V6s or a quartet of 6V6s?

My friend modified his Elk (Japan version of Fender) using my Mark II schematics but using EL84s. It sound not bad but I think alot of the "quality" tone comes from the output transformer. The Elk's transformer was not of the greatest quality.

Tell me how this project goes. :D

Maybe you would be better off tweaking the circuit to remove some of the harshness?Its possible you would go thru a couple of different speakers at considerable expense and not fully achieve what you are looking for.I would try to get rid of the harshness first to some degree and save some bucks on speakers.Just a thought.

Well, After reading a lot of reviews I just ordered a Weber Silver Bell (Alnico). I figure even if it doesn't cure the harshness I can use it for another build (currently working on a low power dumble clone).

The mesa clone is using a pair of 6v6's and, as I said, the clean tone is just great, very Deluxe Blackface type clean. Distortion is just ok at this point. Gets less appealing as you increase gain. Never can get the Santana type creamy distortion although turning the treble down on the guitar helps get somewhat there.

rut

The Silver Bell is a cool speakers. I think it something like the Blue Dog but with more bottom end. Its tone is going toward Celestions.

Here's where I demo speakers South Valley Vintage Amps

Personally, I like having alot of variety of speakers. I have 3 various type of Celestions, few Webers and just got a Tone Tubby (another speaker you should consider).

What type of transformer are you using? Hoeybor? Mercury Magnets? Hammond?

Oh another thing, 6V6s starts to get a bit bloaty when you push them hard or if the preamp gain is high. But true, they sound great for clean and moderate gain, well to me they do.

Well I'm currently using original fender replacement transformers meant for a deluxe reverb. That is what I started to build but changed mid-stream.

Since I'm not driving the output tubes very hard (barely have the vol past 2 before the wife yells to turn it down:) I think the preamp is giving all the tone. I just ordered some tung-sol 12ax7's to try as I've heard good things about those.

I looked at the tone tubby but the price is just a bit too high for this hobbyist. I'm hoping the silver bell will do the trick.

Rut

Hey Rut,

I have a set of the Tung Sol and they are very nice. Depending on what you have now they should help with the harshness. I have also had good luck with a set of NOS Tesla (not JJ). Kind of pricey though and kind of hard to find. I also second the notion of changing out the tubes rather than going after speakers as a first step. The tubes I originally had in my Mark IV were very harsh.

Gary

The NOS Teslas are great tubes if you can find them.I put 2 of them in the lead drive positions in my IIC+ and they are the smoothest I ever heard.I was lucky enough to find four of them some time ago,so I have 2 spares when these die.

Back