speaker change for Mark III....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjblacksheep

Reaction score
Got a 60w Mark III head running into an Avatar 2x12 semi closed (oval opening in the middle) cabinet with one V30 and one G12H30. There some harsh middy stuff going on there that I just can't dial out. I see a lot of recommendations for G12T-100 for tighter bottom and no more mid spike. Less effecient too which would probably be good for me as I'm not gigging. Or maybe an Eminence that is similar to the Celestion? I see on the Eminence speaker tone chart they list some mid characteristics as Moderate and Crisp.....that sounds like what I need. Something like a Screamin' Eagle (although loud). Anyway, if anyone has an opinion please chime in.

Speakers are very subjective thing. The cab matters as much as the speaker so it might pay to experiment a little. This may not be practical for everyone, but I purchased/built several cabs and started mixing and matching speakers till I found what I liked. If you buy/sell used you can do that for a reasonable amount of $$. It far cheaper than ordering new speakers and having to break them in etc.

Thought about an EVM? It's a good crisp speaker with much less mid emphasis. A C-90 might be a decent choice too if you want something darker with some of the mids but not the spike. I've never tried a GT-12T so I can't comment on that one. I'd certainly consider Eminance and Mojotone speakers too. The both make great quailty stuff that's much less expensive than Celestion.

What kind of music are you playing? I play a lot of hard rock/thrash type stuff and I love the G12T-100. I went from V30's (ice pickey, mid spikey) to G12h30's (way too mid heavy for me) to G12T-75's (good, but on the thin side) and finally landed on the t-100's. Take it with a grain of salt though, everybody has different ears.

Thanks for the replies. I play a big BIG variety but by far the highest % is hard rock/thrash metal, probably why I've seen so many good things on the G12T-100 for that setup. Lots of good things about EVM too for sure. I got the V30/G12H30 on recommendation from Avatar when they built my cab but I didn't have a Boogie at the time. I really don't like the MID heavy sound now.

I've got a chance to try out some Warehouse Classic Lead type speakers....the British Lead.....I heard quite a few liked the more neutral character of this speaker for rock/thrash metal. Hopefully I will have some sort of review on this change in a month or so.

+1 on the EVM.

I have an old one (1992) in my MkIV combo and a new one in a Thiele cab I had built from german store Tube Town, and I must say that the new ones sound every bit as good as the old ones. Maybe not exactly the same (don't know, the Thiele cab is too different a beast compared to Mesa's small open back cabinet), but it's still a perfect match for the Mark tone IMO.

Latest posts

Back