Mark III 60w Rev & Eq Head ..... looking for 1 x 12 Speaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben ifin

Reaction score
Hi all !

I have a non-simul 1987 Mark III 60w Reverb and Graphic Short Head with the R2 mod done

Since having it - I am the one and original owner having bought it new in 1987 - I have been running and alternating between a 2 x 12 Cabinet and a 4 x 12 cabinet.

Age and a not-so-great back now has those boxes retired and I am looking for a small-ish 1 x 12 replacement.

I am happy to buy or build the box and my criteria is:-

-> 1 x 12 box - as small as practicable

-> whether I build or buy it I want it to have a closed back - to minimise any low end " woofiness " / " flabbiness "

Here is the tricky part - which speaker ?

So ..... given that realistically over %80 of my playing is in the CH1 Clean sound

=> what speaker would people recommend for this head in order to maximise the chime and sheen of the clean channel and therefore [ conversely ] minimise the harsh-ice-pick frequencies ?

Hope this makes sense.

Ben

.......... bump .........

I did get to try a colleagues 1 x 12 closed back box which had a late 1990's Celestion G12T-75 in it - it was nice and loud but the clean channel sounded quite sterile / flat / lifeless ........ no matter how much I eq'd it I just couldn't inject any sheen / chime / shimmer into the sound .................so

.......... bump ............

I have used a blue stripe Simul since I bought it new in 1990, so take any recommendations with however many grains of salt necessary...
Traditionally, you'd go with a Mesa Thiele cab with an EVM 12L.
Be warned, they're about 40 lbs, 20 of which is the EVM.
Also Fendery and spanky, but more scooped in the mids, is the 100 watt Jensen C12K. Squeaky clean.
The 150 watt Eminence Texas Heat breaks up a bit sooner, and has a more relaxed high end.
The Jensen MOD 12-110 leans toward Marshally tone, is high power at 110 watts so it still has a nice firm bottom.
And we all know how important that can be.
Sensitivity:
EVM 12L = 100 dB
Jensen C12K = 99.1 dB
Texas Heat = 99 dB
MOD 12-110 = 99.1 dB
So they are all real close in perceived loudness.

Hi, I have Mark III combo, red stripe, and have just replaced the original EV wit an Mesa MS-12, it sounds less harsh than the EV, to my ears that is.
I haven't tried it but have read the Eminence Deltalite II sounds very similar to the MS-12 but is much lighter, it has a neodymium magnet.

Back