Sometimes we all need to mic... Suggestions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
strumminsix said:
I need a mic for my LSC. Any suggestion?

The Shure SM57 is a great unidirectional instrument mic. I am usually mic'd with SM57s when I play live. I have never used them in a studio (I am in a cover band and don't record) but I've heard they work great for that application as well.

Speaking of mics...where do most of you place the in regards to your speaker. Most venues I play will place the mic directly centered over the cone of the speaker. I think that placing the mic dead-center creates a pretty harsh mic'd sound without as much low-end as I'm hearing on stage. Any suggestions?...

You may also want to look at the Sennheiser E609 & E906. If you want a quick set up without having an extra stand to tote, you can drape these right over your amp.

I was totally checking out the e609. The idea of not carrying a stand, setting it up, watching for it on stage, getting bumped, yada yada made it look awesome!

Care to answer a few questions please:
- Are you guys laying it right on the front of your amp?
- How many watts are you pushing thru your amp and any distortion due to proximity and volume?
- How sensitive is it to location?
- How is different from the 57?

Thanks!

Check this out http://grailtone.com/guitar-reviews/sm57-e609-comparison.html

Strumminsix, I ended up with an e906, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. We haven't made any attempts at recording recently. I read the same comparison that Ned sent out, when I was looking for mic's, which took me the Sennheiser route.

I've been using a Sennheiser e609 for awhile now and our soundguy absolutely raves about it and won't use anything else for my Road King. I used to drape it over the amp, as well, but found that it had a tendency to move or roll if it was bumped or the mic cable was too stiff, etc. I started taping it in place, but I didn't like the sticky residue on my amp. I ended up taking one of those little 6" arms that mounts an extra mic onto another mic stand and just clamping it on the edge of the cabinet. Now, the e609 stays put or can be adjusted in a snap. In fact, I don't even take it off at the end of a gig. I just put the cab in the road case and that's it. Incidentally, the Sennheiser does work great for recording, as well...

Ned, thanks for the awesome link! The full review link was broken though :cry:

fredp322 said:
I used to drape it over the amp, as well, but found that it had a tendency to move or roll if it was bumped or the mic cable was too stiff, etc.

Fredp! Awesome user perspective, thanks to you too! Question, my amp will be on a tilted stand, do you think it sit better on that? Logic says yes.

Also, how forgiving of mic is it as far as placement?
Any problem with really cranking the amp overloading the mic?

Thanks!!!!

Check out Sequis Motherload - different beast, but far more versatile both live and recording (and sounds amazing).

http://www.motherload.co.uk/

I haven't tried the E609 yet, but I'd like to. I've heard that they're really good sounding mics.

The reason that I stick with a 57 when I record is because they have a really cool compression when you hit them with higher SPL's. I just really like that sound right now.

From what I've been told, the 609 doesn't compress, so it sounds cleaner.

redmax61 said:
The reason that I stick with a 57 when I record is because they have a really cool compression when you hit them with higher SPL's. I just really like that sound right now.

I've always been a just set it up and play sort of person so forgive my ignorance....

I never knew that the 57s did that. Are you saying that as someeone starts hitting the amp harder there is volume peaks are compressed off slightly to keep you nicely in the mix and not on top of it? What about lower volume does it bring it up a bit?

The e609, as you know, is designed to rest flush against the grill of the speaker cabinet. I have a Road King Combo that sits on a 2x12 Rectifier extension cab. I put a 2x2 under the combo so that it tilts back to the angle of a slant face 4x12 cab. The mic does sit better that way
but still moves around just from the vibration alone. We play mid to large size clubs every weekend at fairly high volumes. I've used several different mics including the 57, the EV version of the 57, and a few condensers. To my ears, the e609 has had the most consistently full and fat sound. Of course, that's just my opinion... I've not been able to get any pics to upload. I'm still trying to figure that out. When I do, I'll surely post some pics of my rig. If you want I could e-mail you some...

strumminsix said:
I've always been a just set it up and play sort of person so forgive my ignorance....

I never knew that the 57s did that. Are you saying that as someeone starts hitting the amp harder there is volume peaks are compressed off slightly to keep you nicely in the mix and not on top of it? What about lower volume does it bring it up a bit?

It's kinda hard to describe. But to my ear, it's not about the volume, it's about how the mic effects the tone. I hear the sound sitting a little more with the mix, as opposed to fighting against it or jumping out of it.

Ok Kiddies,
Time to grow up and take the training wheels off your recording. 57's are greasy kids stuff... For distorted guitar use a KSM 32. You'll be amazed at the fidelity of a great mic. For clean, jazz, country, blues etc use a KSM 44. I've goobered with alot of crap but I still come back to the KSM's

Guitarzan said:
Ok Kiddies,
Time to grow up and take the training wheels off your recording. 57's are greasy kids stuff... For distorted guitar use a KSM 32. You'll be amazed at the fidelity of a great mic. For clean, jazz, country, blues etc use a KSM 44. I've goobered with alot of crap but I still come back to the KSM's

Thanks but no thanks for me. I can't justify a $700 mic. I'd be better off buying an SM57/e609 for $100 and taking $100 for NOS preamp tubes and the remaining $500 for lessons. :lol:

Okay, I was slightly kidding but it's more than I am willing to spend.

PLUS, after reading many articles on it they say it is not good for close mic'ing and is best around 18" from the amp. My last gig I was 18" from my amp.! :p

ETA Link: http://emusician.com/mics/emusic_shure_ksm_2/

Latest posts

Back