Someone please enlighten me...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody777

Reaction score
I played a show last night and plugged my Tremoverb into a cab backlined by the venue. It was a Mesa Boogie 2x12 vertical halfback with the metal grill. It sounded absolutely amazing.

I have to find one now. I've done a little bit of searching and it seems like they come with a variety of different speaker combinations. Can somebody tell me what I should be looking for? What speaker combos did they come stock with? What combo is the best?

Thanks! Are you saying that is the best/most sought after speaker combo?

Is there a website that lists all of the different speaker combinations that came stock? I can't find anything!

Also, does anyone know what speaker combination Mesa came out with first? The cab was really old.

Throughout the time mesa made those cabs they could have been with 4 different speakers. Originally they were using eminence black shadow speakers with a 150 watt black shadow on top and a vintage 50 watt black shadow on the bottom. I think it was later they started using the EVs and then C90s. I've seen them with either 2 EVs or 2 C90s or as described before a EV on the bottom and a C90 on top.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to go back to the venue and take a closer look.

Are there any other variations to keep in mind? Are they all halfback cabs? Do some of them have tweeters? I say one for sale over at HC that had something strange in the top above the speakers.

The specific Mesa cab you're speaking of is discontinued ...and those who have them know their worth/desirability. As already stated, these half open/half closed cabs came with a variety of different spkr options, and I've seen a few who have swapped out the sprks for something they like. Mesa never loaded them with tweeters. If you find one, buy it. Even if you sell it later you won't likely take a loss on it.

The new 2x12 vertical cabs are Recto cabs, fully sealed backs, and loaded with Celestion V30s. I've never heard one, though ...anyone here ever do an A/B between the old (cool ones!) and new 2x12 vert cabs?

Edward

You can go by what "other" people say. You have to hear them for yourself and determine what you like.

For example, I have several halfback 4x12's (5 to be exact and 1 2x12). I love the MC90's with my Mark III (and Mark IV), but I think it sounds like crap with 4 EVM 12L's. Even 2 MC90's and 2 EVM's sound kinda crappy with it. I think my Mark IV sounds KILLER with 4 EVM 12L's and almost as good with the MC90/EVM's...god like with both cabs going at the same time 8) . I also like the 4 Eminence Vintage 50's cab I have...think Yngwie tone. Here is the crazy thing... I like my 2x12 loaded with MC90/EVM with my Mark III (as opposed to the 4x12 with MC90/EVM. So you see, you have to try things for yourself.

With that said, I think you cant go wrong with a cab loaded with MC90's

...now if I could just get rabies to sell me 4 of his 150's :wink:

All I know is that this particular cab sounded amazing. I'm going to go back to the venue on Monday and try to figure out exactly what speaker combination it has.

I may need more help then... I'll take some pics and post them. I want exactly whatever was in this cab. If only I could convince the owner to sell it to me... alas, I already tried.

Those cabs are pretty cheap compared to most out there so once you find the speaker combination it would just be a matter of time before one came up with the config you wanted. I have a halfback 212 with c90 and EV and it's pretty good for what it does but I think I prefer my 412 halfback built into a roadcase with 2 C90's and 2 EV's with the top speaker closed off.

Musicgoround.com has a 212 with C90 and EV for $350. I don't know if they ship or not.

Greg

Maybe offer to purchase it off the venue? Or replace it with a current production Mesa 2x12?

If that specific one sounded so good to you, I would try that. To them, if you get them a newer, they are making out pretty well, and you get a cab that you really enjoyed!

I tried to buy it... the guy is a vintage gear buff and wasn't ready to give it up. :(

woody777 said:
I tried to buy it... the guy is a vintage gear buff and wasn't ready to give it up. :(
I was GASing for the 4x12 halfback, and thought I'd never find one. I ended up getting one for $350.00, less than 50 miles away. Check classifieds, and craigslist. They do pop up every now and then.

Finally had a chance to go back to the club and take a few photos. I'm 99.99% sure that both the top and bottom speakers are EVM12L's, but I just wanted to double check with you guys.

Here are the pics:

MB 2x12 top speaker front
topfront.jpg

MB 2x12 bottom speaker front
bottomfront.jpg

MB 2x12 top speaker back
topfull.jpg

MB 2x12 top speaker close up
topcloseup.jpg

MB 2x12 bottom speaker close up
bottomcloseup.jpg

Both speakers have "611" stamped on them - what does that mean if anything?

Did I ID them right? Both EVM 12Ls?

Is there any difference between different EVM 12Ls? I looked on Ebay and I see quite a few different looking speakers listed as EVM 12Ls.

Thanks guys!

Thanks gts! I thought I got that right :)

So, is there any difference between these speakers and an EVM12L with a black label of some sort?

Latest posts

Back