Some Recording Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axxis

Reaction score
Aight, basically I havne't recorded myself playing guitar in a long while. I'm finally out of college and I've been getting back into music more seriously this summer. My only recording experience has been on a few video cameras and back when I was in high schoool i had a 20 year old 4 track cassette recorder that I dont own anymore so here I am. I have a pretty solid computer but right now I'm kinda strapped for cash and I just want to mess around recording some stuff. I'll probably pick up a mic and a preamp/DI box later on but for the next few weeks I'm stuck. I have an 8channel sound card (7.1) on my cpu and a friend has a copy of cakewalk so. How can I record something, lol. I know i can use the line in but it has to be "line level". I dont know how to generate that for the card. I also have a yellow "midi" jack back there. IS that for INput or output? I dont get it b/c I thought midi jacks were round witha few pins in them. This looks like a headphone jack, lol. Anyways I'd like to do something better than put my headset mic in front of my amp and record into the pink mic slot, lol. Anyone know of any quick fixes? All help would be much appreciated.

Well, guess noone has been in this position, lol. Anyways, when I do go buy something, would I be better off getting a mic preamp to mic my amp or maybe a direct box for my computer--OR--getting a little 4 channel mixer/recorder? I don't have much experience with recording so any input will be greatly appreciated.

As far as Cakewalk the program will be aware of all audio interfaces on the computer so that part is not a problem more reading than anything else.

Example:
I’m only letting Cakewalk use the Mobile Pre USB I could let it use both if I chose.

As far as interfacing to line level you could just buy some adapters or wait a bit and just get a USB or fire wire audio interface which will give you the greatest versatility. Even a cheap audio interface will give you a better sound in most cases than a bunch of impedance adapters

cakeaudiodriver.jpg

Well I don't have a usb or a firewire box yet. Im just looking for a simple and free way to record until I can save up some cash. I'm just using a boss GE-7 equalizer to amp my signal before running into the computer. I adjust to line-level while watching in cakewalk. Seems to be ok for now. Oh how I wish i had a good mic!

Latest posts

Back