So today my Dual Rec started picking up radio stations. WTF!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madryan

Reaction score
I was playing in my garage and it started picking up this station when I would turn down the guitar volume. The amp is new to me but used and I can take it back to GC if it has issues. Anyone know what's up?

Do you use effects pedals? When I was younger, I had a Grunge distortion that picked up radio stations. I thought for the longest time that it was my amp until I had to borrow someone else's.

Wrap it in tin foil!

:lol:

Just kidding... all though that might actually work.

Check the cord

I used to have cheap cords and often I would get radio through my amp. It would change depending on where I was standing in the room or how I was holding the cord. Sort of like you see on old TV shows where the guy has to hold the antena just right for the TV to work. Anyway, I got a bit older and could afford better cords the problem went away.

I'm pretty sure that it was the cord. It's worth checking anyway.

*DOPEMAN* said:
Wrap it in tin foil!

Just kidding... all though that might actually work.

Or become a large antenna... :lol:

You could have a tube going microphonic or the insulation on your cord may have gotten damaged. It happened to me on my F-50 and it also happened on a direct input that we rigged up once. Of course, the channel that I was picking up sucked! :lol:

what worked for me was to plug everything into a power conditioner. i was having the same problem with my compressor pedal but after i started plugging into the furman power strip it went away.

Using a Wah pedal will cause radio interference as well. My DR picks up radio as well but only when I use it on the top floor of my house. Any place else I never have a problem. If it would pick up Sirius radio so I could listen to Howard Stern while playing I would consider it an option that Mesa should add to all amps.....

pjrake said:
what worked for me was to plug everything into a power conditioner. i was having the same problem with my compressor pedal but after i started plugging into the furman power strip it went away.

+1. Get a quality one and make sure it filters RFI & EMI. Some cheap units are nothing more than a power strip in a rack-mount chassis.

Personally I like the Furman products as well, I'm using the PL8-II.

Dom

visualrocker69 said:
So is what can be done? Any radio isolation tricks?
I know, this is getting old for you older members but this is how I would eliminate radio frequency:
shielding.jpg

anyone know anything about the alesis power conditioners? there is one on musicians friend for $99 that looks pretty nice. got pretty good reviews too.

A power conditioner is a good idea for other reasons, but if you want to fix this for cheap, you can put a ferrite bead on your power cord. A friend's Mark IV used to pick up shortwave radio, and this fixed it.

Often it gets picked up in the guitar cable. If my cable is coiled up it picks the radio up even more.
The last time it happened I was picking up long-wave christian radio and they were talking about Satan, which I thought was cool as I was playing Slipknot at the time.

Lol!
Maybe you (and everyone else for that matter IMHO) should stop playing slipknot! Consider it a sign!

Back