So just got some SED =C='s EL34

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrodr008

Reaction score
Got them from dougs tubes. I fired them up and I can smell they are running hotter than the stock 6L6's. I do have the switch flipped to EL34. Also noticed a purple glow:

On standby:
sed_standby.jpg

On:
sed_on.jpg

Should I worry or am I safe?

What's your impression compared to the 6L6s ? I've ordered the same set of tubes and waiting for them to arrive.

Cool.

Haven't went through all my tones yet, but I did notice a little less fullness and bottom-end. But I gained more crunch and mids. Still need to put more time on these tubes to learn more though.

mrodr008 said:
I did notice a little less fullness and bottom-end. But I gained more crunch and mids.

That's the trade off for EL34s over the 6L6. They both have their own flavor. That's why having Simul-Class is the best of both worlds. 8)

And you've picked some of the best power tubes you can get on the market today!

Neptical said:
mrodr008 said:
I did notice a little less fullness and bottom-end. But I gained more crunch and mids.

That's the trade off for EL34s over the 6L6. They both have their own flavor. That's why having Simul-Class is the best of both worlds. 8)

And you've picked some of the best power tubes you can get on the market today!

Agree! Got some in one of my Carvin X100B heads. Sound great especially with the Gain backed off quite a lot. :mrgreen:

same with me, I've had a couple of tubes glowing purple/blueish and with no technical issues :)
How do you like those EL34s? Does the lessened bottom end come in hand with improved clarity or do you think it muddied up a little? I am still thinking of trying EL34s with my MK5, I am a 7string player and theoretically it should help me gain a little more focus.. do these sound tighter or looser? (open or focussed)

I don't know for the Mark V specifically but to me, EL34s feel tighter and dirtier than 6L6s, which are to me a little more "bottomy" and clearer.

And yes, =C='s are the mutt's nuts.

I have found the =C= 6L6 tubes to run quite a bit hotter than advertised in Simul class Mesa's. I'm not sure about the EL34's though. I think most shops test only at 400V, but I have seen over 490V in my ED which goes a long way to explain things.

Just check (with the lights out) after you have been playing the amp for a while that NO part of the tubes plate structure is glowing red.

J.J said:
I have found the =C= 6L6 tubes to run quite a bit hotter than advertised in Simul class Mesa's. I'm not sure about the EL34's though. I think most shops test only at 400V, but I have seen over 490V in my ED which goes a long way to explain things.

Just check (with the lights out) after you have been playing the amp for a while that NO part of the tubes plate structure is glowing red.

530+ volts with the Series 300 Coliseum Mark series amps. OYE........... :wink:

I just never saw any glow from the stock 6L6s. It looks cool actually. But ok as long as it doesn't glow red I'm good..

Yeah I feel a bit more clarity in the notes. This is actually my first time trying EL34s. Definitely a different flavor. Right away I was like "hmm I think I like the 6L6s better.." But that's just cause I've been playing those for years and it's what I was used to. So I'm going to give these a shot for a while. But overall they sound good too.

Camera is a canon 7d.. I also do some photography in my spare time.

Latest posts

Back