SO I SOLD MY TRIPLE REC...SHOULD I GO STILETTO DUECE OR TRI

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightywarlock

Reaction score
SO my triple recitifer sold on ebay in 1 day. so now i have to decide whether or not to get a stiletto, duece or trident.

i sold it because i tired of never really cutting through the mix, hence why i am considering a stiletto.

i was thinking of getting a Deuce.

is this a better choice over a trident?

As always, auditioning a Trident and Duece is the best thing you could do.

However, don't get suckered by the higher power rating of the Trident. 150 W vs. 100 W may look like a lot on paper, but it's only worth a few dB in terms of sound level. Unless you need very, very, VERY loud clean tones, the Trident may simply be more power than you need.

Now, to throw another idea out there, try a 50-watt ACE, either a head or combo. It may not seem like enough power, but go try one. And remember these words from Doug West (from Mesa's R&D area) when he was talking about the 50-watt Stilettos:

“In the world of EL34 tone, 50-watt heads have always been a secret treasure,” Doug explained. “They’re tighter, crisper, and the highs seem to respond quicker. It’s got a lot to do with the 50-watt transformer being smaller—it lets those high-end harmonics fly through faster."

Maybe 50 watts isn't enough for you but give it a try if you can find one to audition.

Imho 150 watts is just nuts AND way too expensive to re-tube.

Before my Deuce I only had 50 watt amps and lower and that was always more than enough.

My 2 cents - get the Ace or the Deuce.

i did try the deuce last week at the Hollywood Mesa store.
i also have the Rectifier Recording Preamp, which helped my decision to find a new sound...and i wasnt satisfied with not being able to hear myself at practice...so since i know the stiletto is designed to cut through the mix, i have been thinking of getting that head.
for a while i was thinking of just trading my triple rec in for a dual, just to so i could pull the tubes to get it to 50w...but i like that there is a switch of the deuce and trident to cut the power to 50w...just trying to decide whether the extra $100 is worth it or not for the extra power...is there any difference in tone between the 2?
i am thinking the deuce will sound better quicker than the trident, same as a dual rec vs. triple rec.

i am into the high gain sounds, but also need a mellow sound as well, and i am thinking the stiletto might just do the trick.

either that or an ENGL SE...but i cant afford that right now...

I really cant understand why you would have trouble cutting through the mix unless you have the mid's and presense turned way down!

Recto's cut fine, just keep the mids around 11 or 12 and you should be fine.

mightywarlock said:
SO my triple recitifer sold on ebay in 1 day. so now i have to decide whether or not to get a stiletto, duece or trident.

i sold it because i tired of never really cutting through the mix, hence why i am considering a stiletto.

i was thinking of getting a Deuce.

is this a better choice over a trident?

you wont know until you really give them both a good run through,the trident is expensive to retube but if it is for you then go for it....great tone comes at a price

Latest posts

Back