Slight dilemma involving 2 channel Mesa Rectifier heads.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, regarding my quest of a 2 channel Rectifier...

I have 2 potential amps I could buy. Amp 1, is a Blackface, early 93 model, serial number r-001538. This one has a few scars on the tolex, but other than that, is absolutely mint.
Amp 2 is your standard recto fare looks wise, not sure on the year, but the serial number is r-006137, which also sounds quite early. Also, this one is dead mint. No scars, nothing.

I prefer the looks of the Blackface, for absolute sure, but I need to sell my amp on eBay, (it's on there right now, plenty of watchers, no bids as yet) to purchase it. However, the owner of the chrome 2ch is willing to trade for my 3ch head.

What do I do? I mean, I could potentially make a little money out of selling my amp and buying the blackface, but it won't be a great deal.

Any advice?

what amp are you trading? id say get the blackface! they are not so easy to come by...
Also if the seller is local go and check the amp out, ive heard too many horror stories of trades gone wrong.

go for the blackface. That's the one you want. If you end up with the other one, the thought of the blackface will chew you up from the inside ;)

I'd do the trade! I'd rather take something treated well, than something with battle scars!

you can always retolex the blackface, or buy a blackface piece and paste it on to the chrome one (after ripping the chrome off..i heard this is a little difficult). Either way, it's easy to get around the cosmetics.

I can't comment on the tonal differences, being we're not sure of the year of the later ser#! With that said, I still believe my decision would be based more on cosmetic condition than that of the tonal differences between the two 2channel versions! Ones been treated well, ones showing scars, enough for me right there!

Latest posts

Back