SLAVE OUTPUT vs MUTE OUTPUT

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPJunky

Reaction score
Do the SLAVE and MUTE Ouputs come from the same place in the gain structure? The literature seems to claim that the slave comes from the speaker signals. Since there is no attenuator as such I would think the MUTE signal comes from between the preamp and power tubes, is that so?

Any schematics around?

LPJunky said:
Do the SLAVE and MUTE Ouputs come from the same place in the gain structure? The literature seems to claim that the slave comes from the speaker signals. Since there is no attenuator as such I would think the MUTE signal comes from between the preamp and power tubes, is that so?

Any schematics around?

It's probably tapped off of the slave out signal with a resistor in place to regulate the signal level.

What's the worry for?

Well, there is no worry really. I was just goofing around last night with the MUTE output when I realize I could try to use it for silent recording. Then again, if the signal for the slave is from the speaker's signal it would mean that it's post power section? From the behavior of the MUTE output I did not think there was any power distortion. I could be wrong. I definitely don't quite understand the OUTPUT/SOLO/MUTE/SLAVE section of the amp.

Now the more I think about it and the more it make sense that the MUTE out is simply related to the OUTPUT/SOLO circuitry. I remember it's on the push/pull SOLO knob, right. The fact that it's placed closed to the SLAVE out at the rear is only logical but does not use any of the slave components I would say. But at this point it's only speculation. This approach is also used in the Lonestar I was told and maybe on other models so that has probably been discussed elsewhere...

Would that preamp signal be a decent signal to do simple direct recording through speaker sims and other effects?

LPJunky said:
Would that preamp signal be a decent signal to do simple direct recording through speaker sims and other effects?

It can be. It'll lack the signal processing that happens in the power section, but nothing in tone is inherently good or bad, it's just a matter of whether something works for you or not. Ideally the slave out would provide the most authentic tone, but that's for you to decide.

Of course, the problem with the slave out being post power amp is that I'm pretty sure that writes silent recording off unless you have a dummy load.

If you want post preamp signal you can also use the effects loop send into your speaker sim.

Latest posts

Back