slave out?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analog

Reaction score
I'v read alot of posts about "slave out" but I don't really understand what it does.Is it a preamp out?

No, it is not a preamp out. It is a line level signal that is taken from the output transformer, so it contains the signal from the entire amp not just the preamp. At least that's the way it is on the Mark IV.

t0aj15 said:
No, it is not a preamp out. It is a line level signal that is taken from the output transformer, so it contains the signal from the entire amp not just the preamp. At least that's the way it is on the Mark IV.

But its not a power amp out either. You shouldn't run it directly to a speaker cab. The Mark IV (which I owned for 6 years) has a slave out meant to go to a Mesa Satellite which is basically the power section of a Mark IV without the preamp section so that you can run in stereo. I didn't know the signal came from the output transformer but that signal is not hot like the one from the speaker jack. At least to my knowledge.

Coeur de Blues said:
One can also use it for the tuner, without it being in the line of the signal.

yes, which is cool, but it's nice to have silent tuning. putting the amp on standby will kill the signal from the slave out, right?

It's basically used to control another amp. Let's say you have two amps, and want to control both from one head. You just plug the slave out of one amp into the power amp section, or effects return of the second amp. Now you can control how both amps sound without having to tweak the second amp.

Can you use it to plug your head directly into a computer to do recording or would that hurt the amp in some way...sorry I am also in the dark about the slave out.

You could use it for recording as long as there's a speaker load attached to the amp, but it's not going to sound good at all. It will be thin and "grainy" unless you use some sort of cabinet emulator.

kind of - actually it comes from the old term of "slaves and masters". it means to cut the signal and insert an fx device or similar interface. whereas the slave is the "send signal" going into the input of the "slaved in" device. The master is the "return" where the output from the device goes into. this can be anywhere in the signal path.

it works with pre- and poweramps very well to insert some eq or whatever. but it changes the signal path and effects the signal level as well.

one challenge is when the amp is running on a high internal power level, means the internal signal needs to be cut down to the level that a fx processor can handle. and then back powered up again.

my ace's for instance have an send level poti to adjust exactly this. also other ace's as well ;-) by the way an old album from deep purple is called also simply "slaves and masters" so its not a very new topic. (irony off)

you can not really destroy something but keep a fast reaction when suddenly strange sounds or smells occure to rip the slave and master cables off.

Bobby Marshall said:
t0aj15 said:

But its not a power amp out either. You shouldn't run it directly to a speaker cab. The Mark IV (which I owned for 6 years) has a slave out meant to go to a Mesa Satellite which is basically the power section of a Mark IV without the preamp section so that you can run in stereo. I didn't know the signal came from the output transformer but that signal is not hot like the one from the speaker jack. At least to my knowledge.
I never said it was a speaker out, as I said it's a adjustable line level signal. As for feeding a Mesa Satellite, my Mk IV has a Satellite Send AND a Slave Out, so the Slave Out is not intended to feed a Mesa Satellite, although it can be used for that. Another use for the Slave Out is the way I use it, to drive my stereo efx unit which then feeds a stereo SS poweramp in a W/D/W setup.

Latest posts

Back