Slave out rectifier head into vht2902

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soldoogie

Reaction score
actually here is my next question ..

ive "thought" about ditching my mesa dual rectifier head and sourcing a preamp version and just hooking it into the rack with my newly acquired VHT2902 poeramp... so then i thought well .. i could use the slave out on the head into the vht power amp to "seee" how it sounds .. and well i was disappointed .. it sounded empty and NOTHING like how the head sounds on its own.. i wonder is that because of the poweramp section of the boogie head? or the different tubes (boogie 6l6 .. vht kt88s?)..

i thought it would sound good still but it lost alot of .. everything really .. i got the idea it would sound good from this youtube link. the boogie preamp sounds awesome and exactly like my head does in this link.. *shrug* ..he's using a randal poweramp though with 6l6's and el34's in differetn channels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRTdlTVJzPA

im wondering now perhaps my poweramp is not as versatile as i thought? Sounds awesome with the Soldano x88r preamp!

any reason why the sounds could be soo different?

Are you sure there is nothing wrong with the 2/90/2? The cable you're using is good? The level on the slave out it set decently?

I'd think it would pair pretty nicely...

Weird..

Eric

Have you tried using the FX Send instead?
The Slave signal is pretty hot, it's tapped off the Output Tranny.

No matter which method, Slave or FX send, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SPEAKER LOAD HOOKED UP TO THE RECTIFIER! You don't want to blow that Output Tranny, do you?

Dom

domct203 said:
Have you tried using the FX Send instead?
The Slave signal is pretty hot, it's tapped off the Output Tranny.

No matter which method, Slave or FX send, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SPEAKER LOAD HOOKED UP TO THE RECTIFIER! You don't want to blow that Output Tranny, do you?

Dom
Hi thanks for the reply, yeah i did after reading some posts on it. But the problem with that is the signal still comes outof the cab thehead is plugged into aswell to the other poweramp that im trying to 'test' so itmakes ithard to see if it soundsgood or not. It did sound better although that could be cause i ws hearing the head/cab aswell.

I don't know for certain about the 2/90/2, but the 2/50/2 and 2150 power amps reverse the phase of the output vs input. I would assume they are of similar design. Try making a speaker wire for the head (or a pair for the power amp) with the polarity reversed on one end and see what that does.

When using a preamp, you wont notice the phase reversal, as there is no other speaker for the stereo pair to be out of phase with. Also, any effects you run between the head and power amp may also invert phase, so you would go back to the standard speaker wire for the head.

Latest posts

Back