Slash's Guitar ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David.W

Reaction score
Hey Russ dont leave us hangin here. I want to know what guitar(s) Slash used. I hear it was a Lester (les paul copy) which I find funny, now Gibson made him a sig model whilst sueing everyone else for copying the LP design.

What did he use?

PS. Awsome thread once again on the amps.

Even if he was using a copy... The copies that are out there are exact replicas of the original except that they are handmade-custom instruments right down to the screws! I remember reading that the guitar he used in videos like "November Rain" was the copy, but I am not 100% positive that this is the truth.

Thanks for the props David.W. I cannot claim full credit for the acquiring of the information as I have learned most of the specifics through reading but I can say that having experienced quite a few Marshall amps myself has really helped to understand the nature of the beast.

Slash used many Gibson LP's but his early LP was a custom job handmade by a guy in Redondo Beach, CA. I will have to dig up the info on the guy's name because I have forgotten it, but I believe he is now deceased. In addition to the LP's, Slash has also used BC Rich guitars most notibly the Red Mockingbird in the You Could Be Mine? video. Slash has also been seen using the EDS-1275 and the standard SGs. I think I have even seen him use a V or a strat at times. The main thing for his formula though has been a fixed bridge setneck guitar plugged into a Marshall.

Gibson along with others such as Fender have been suing people since the 70's for rippping them off for their designs. Fender got smart and just decided to start licensing the parts or buying the companies outright so that they could make money off of everyone that either built a copy or repaired a guitar. Gibson is still on the warpath though as was seen in the ESP lawsuit for their guitars that they were making, ie. the Explorers that James Hetfield had made for him. To be honest though sometimes the copies just play or sound better. I have been taking interest in Orvilles lately and they are just as good as the Gibson originals. Actually the Epiphone series that is out right now with the more traditional openbook Gibson style headstock plays quite well and actually sounds decent compared to the typical fare offered by Epiphone. I think that in the course of the next few years we will see a shift in the giutar market as the overseas products continue to improve. Some fo the Korean stuff hitting our market is pretty nice. Personally I have been a made in the US kind of elitist as far as guitars go for the last 15 years. This may change here shortly.

Russ said:
... Slash used many Gibson LP's but his early LP was a custom job handmade by a guy in Redondo Beach, CA. I will have to dig up the info on the guy's name because I have forgotten it, but I believe he is now deceased...
Russ do you know if this is the same guy making claims his Slash's luthier and selling his LP style guitars for $5000+ on E-Bay using anchient forest imported mahogany and selected flame top (he claimed).

Yes, he's or was (if he is deceased) a long hair pony-tailed dude.

Slash also used a Travis Bean for slide tracks - check out the Guns N' Roses World Tour - 1992 in Tokyo...

RR said:
Russ said:
... Slash used many Gibson LP's but his early LP was a custom job handmade by a guy in Redondo Beach, CA. I will have to dig up the info on the guy's name because I have forgotten it, but I believe he is now deceased...
Russ do you know if this is the same guy making claims his Slash's luthier and selling his LP style guitars for $5000+ on E-Bay using anchient forest imported mahogany and selected flame top (he claimed).

Yes, he's or was (if he is deceased) a long hair pony-tailed dude.

I don't think so... I would avoid those e-bay scams. The guy responsible for what we know as the Slash LP from the early GNR days is dead. I haven't had a chance to dig up that material yet on the guys name, mostly because I forgot where I read it. It is here somewhere...

Slash has one of the biggest guitar collections in the world I highly doubt he would be selling one of his custom built ones.

He had 2 or 3 of them made from the same guy and he used them as well as a couple real Les Pauls for recording pretty much every album he has done as above they are exact replicas no different than buying a Historic today except possibly even closer to the real thing. There used to be a guitar poster in one of the old Guitar world mags that showed them all at that time and it was pretty wild. Also had the full explanation of those guitars and the others he used live and to record with.

The man you're thinking of was Chris Derrig. He passed away in '86. Slash had a couple of Derrig LPs, but his main one was a '59 replica which was used on the Appetite album.

"That was my main Les Paul for the whole record. The thing is, maybe I'm just too single-minded or one dimensional, but as far as an overall rock'n'roll sound goes, for me when you get it right you don't want to **** around with it too much. I've only got one other guitar that sounds remotely like it and it's built by the same guy and I got it less than a couple of years ago. He's got an amazing catalogue of guitars, he's built some of the prettiest sunburst '59s you've ever seen."

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=122

Latest posts

Back