Single Recto Vs. Dual Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellow-Bellows

Reaction score
I was just wondering what the major differences are, between these two amps besides wattage. I know the Single is $1279 and the Dual is $1699. As far as music goes, I'm really interested in playing metal like Metallica's 80's stuff, Sabbath, Judas Priest, Slayer, Pantera, GnR, and Iron Maiden (So basically 80's metal). However i'm also into classic rock like ACDC, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Hendrix, SRV and such. So what am I losing if I bought a 50watt model, which has 1 less channel than the dual recto?I'm also interested in suggestions for other Mesa/Boogie amps that may fit me more than single or dual recto.

Might check out the Mark IV as well.

Single recto has only a diode rectifier whereas the Dual recto has both diode and tube rectifiers, along with 50 watts more head room and another channel like you said. Personally I think between those two the Dual is more up your alley but I don't think you're going to get a marshall sound out of either..

Check out the stiletto as well.

yeah, MkIV definitely
or even stiletto

the effects loop can do a lot more on the DR
you can select tube or diode rectifier, which IMO isnt that big of deal

the single is brighter by comparison, and clearer
you can get better cleans out of the single, but its kinda killed by the fact that the amp is only 50w so it can be harder to use those sounds for GIG levels.

The single and dual are about one in the same for sounds. Both have the "rectifier" distortion and the Boogie cleans.....

* If you're talking newer DR, then both have the Raw mode which can get some good AC/DC tones and even some good 80s tones, but you'd have to turn the gain up some.

* The newer DR's have 3 channels for more versatility so you can have your AC/DC channel and your heavier channel (plus a clean or blues channel).

*The DR is 100 wt vs the single 50wt, whats this mean in terms of volume?? Maybe 3-5 db, nothing real noticable but you get more head room so the DR wont get in to power tube saturation as quick as a single.

* The DR has tube and solid state rectifier, this makes the tone a bit more spongy but to be honest if I closed my eyes and listened to 2 different clips of a DR (one tube rectifier and one solid state) I couldn't tell the difference, it's more of a "feel" thing.

* As far as the style of music you're talking about..... It can do it, but I think something like a Mark IV or even a Mark III would be more along the lines of what you're looking for...... Or even the F-series? The tones you're wanting are a little more "scooped" and have a pretty tight low end and the Rectifier have a nice "throaty-mid" tone to them and they aren't real tight in the low end.......But, I play some 80s metal in my band and my Road King (a Dual Rectifer) covers it all just fine but I also need the more "Modern" sound too so thats why I don't have a Mark or an F-series amp.

I've got some clips on my site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com . It's the top clip on the Road King clips page, thats pretty close to the tone I use for most of my 80s metal. The other 2 clips are Road King only clips, a Single or DR won't be able to get those.

Thats my $.02 worth, hope it helps and I don't need to get any change back :wink:

Anomaly said:
which of the two amps could be dailed to get some Creed, linkin park, Evanescens tone? like that thick and grinding distortion sound.. can't wait for that Roadster.. might go for a Rectoverb or DR?

Dual Rec/Roadster for sure...

Anomaly said:
which of the two amps could be dailed to get some Creed, linkin park, Evanescens tone? like that thick and grinding distortion sound.. can't wait for that Roadster.. might go for a Rectoverb or DR?

If you get a Rectoverb, get the head/cab set up and not the combo. For the tones you want, one 12 inch speaker won't be full enough unless you wait for the Roadster 1x12 with a closed back.

As far as Creed and Linkin Park, they both use Dual and Triple Rectifiers so either one will get you really close, but remember they also have a multi-million dollar studio and all the after "treatment" they may possibly need so no amp is gonna sound exactly like the CD.

My vote would be a DR, Roadster or even a Road King.

Of the two, I find the single to have the sweetest tone. It definately has a nicer clean channel and the lead channel is much clearer. The DR had a tad more bass but was much grainier and less defined. Anyone who says 50watts isn't enough probably doesn't gig much. I've never had to turn the output past 10 at any gig. The cleans don't break up until the output is at around 1o'clock, there is plenty of headroom. The only thing I wish the Single had that the DR does is a third channel.

by the way, how is the reverb in the rectoverb? i mean how would you gauge it? should i get a normal single or dual recto and a reverb pedal, or is the reverb on the rectoverb good?

at first I thought It sucked, for an amp called a rectoVERB. But somehow it sounds a lot better now. I noticed when I was breaking in a new set of speakers. It is still not a Fender reverb, like big being in a abandon warehouse, but is does quite add the ambiance. Plus I dont have to dial in the reverb all to max anymore like I used to.

It seems like the reverb has also a kind of breaking effect, I don't say it is the same as for speakers.
Now two points, my reverb tank is broken, one of the three springs has sprung. I have a replacement tank, but haven;t tried that one out.
Second, I have also an old practice amp with a reverb, had it for ten years or something. And that has also that same "at first it sucked, but now it is ok"

I have never played with pedals, so I can't compare it.

-edit-
For me the reverb was the choice why I prefer a rectoverb. I play mostly at home, thus besides the lower wattage the reverb gives more ambiance in your playing, especially on the clean or pushed channel. I do miss the tube rectifier though.

Anomaly said:
which of the two amps could be dailed to get some Creed, linkin park, Evanescens tone? like that thick and grinding distortion sound.. or DR?

that would be a walk in the park for either one
but if thick distortion is your game, the single is going to get there a lot quicker

Back