Rock tone from recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Channel 1 pushed - crank the gain, EQ according to your pickups (SC vs Hum) and the general tone of your guitar. Should get a great crunch rhythm sound, push with tube overdrive pedal (I use a Radial Tonebone) with gain tastefully set for soloing.

I still don't push the mids though I'm using a H/S/S MusicMan Luke and it has plenty of mids. I have gain cranked to 5pm, mid 8, treble 1.30 bass 10.30 Presence 1 o'clock - sounds great for AC/DC stuff.

I get great rock tones from my DR through a Marshall 1960AV 4x12. In fact, I bought my DR specifically for rock tones - I don't play metal at all. I tried the obligatory Marshall head through Marshall cab and didn't like it. I tried a DR through my Marshall cab and it was spot on.

I do dial things in differently that I think most DR users probably do - I run the bass almost to zero, the mids about 2-3 o'clock and treble anywhere from 12-2 o'clock depending. Even with the bass almost to zero, the DR still have plenty of balls. I have Ch 1 setup clean, Ch 2 setup as crunch, on RAW mode with gain around noon. Ch 3 is gain/lead setup similarly to Ch 2, but on VINTAGE mode with gain around 2 o'clock.

For tubes, I am using a TungSol in V1, EH in V2, JJ in V3, Mesa in V4, Sovtek LPS in V5, TAD 6L6GC power tubes and EH rectifier tubes. Set on SPONGY.

Couldn't be happier w/my tone!

The DR compared to a Marshall gives me plenty of mids and crunch, but without the ear bleeds that I always seemed to get when I tried playing a Marshall.

I have found the opposite with the Recto, great all round rock amp, the stock amp without some sort of boost is not a metal amp at all IMO.

I seem to have gotten the heavier sound I was looking for out of it for now though, but as for taming the thing down, easily done by tweaking your channel settings. Good luck!

Back