Single Recto VS Dual Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Reaction score
Tonally is there a big difference between the 2?
I've been thinking about a Mark IV (I really like Petruccis heavier tones) and Nevermore's "Dead Heart and Enemies" tone and I've just
been informed that most of Petruccis heavier stuff was Rectifier, and I know Nevermore's is all Dual Recto, but this will be a mostly used at home amp, will a Single cut it?
are there any design "weaknesses" that the Single has that the Dual "fixes".

dual recto allows you to play with vacuum tubes, whereas single recto doesn't. Other than that, The dual will have more headroom because of the extra 50w. This is good for your distortion but bad for your cleans.

Clutch71 can tell you more.

Elpelotero said:
dual recto allows you to play with vacuum tubes, whereas single recto doesn't. Other than that, The dual will have more headroom because of the extra 50w. This is good for your distortion but bad for your cleans.

I think this means tube rectification. The Singles/Recto-verbs only provide silicon diode rectification, whereas the duals give you the option of tube or diode. The Singles do allow switching beween 6L6 and EL34 power tubes.

so which provides more "sag" as I will be playing metal 99% of time I would use it, so I wouldn't want the sag

I think you got that backwards, the extra 50 watts on the dual is good for the clean channel, however you will not get power tube distortion as early as you would with the single rec. But the Rec's are pretty much designed around the pre-amp distortion so it shouldnt be a huge deal.

However, honestly I would go with the dual rec, more options and you can pull two tubes to bring it down to 50 watts of for bedroom playing.

Elpelotero said:

kmanick said:
so which provides more "sag" as I will be playing metal 99% of time I would use it, so I wouldn't want the sag

Tube rectification provides more sag. Diodes are tighter...more like a Mark. I really, really liked the Recto-verb while I had it (returned it to GC), and would have kept it had I not demo'd a Mark IV! The Recto-verb combined the Recto "girth" with Mark tightness and articulation. The larger cabinet gave it a big, open sound. It was also easy to get great sounds at low volumes, like a Mark IV.

I prefer the Dual, but if you find a Single for a great price, it'll get the job done just as well for those Nevermore-ish type tones.

siggy14 said:
I think you got that backwards, the extra 50 watts on the dual is good for the clean channel, however you will not get power tube distortion as early as you would with the single rec. But the Rec's are pretty much designed around the pre-amp distortion so it shouldnt be a huge deal.

However, honestly I would go with the dual rec, more options and you can pull two tubes to bring it down to 50 watts of for bedroom playing.

Elpelotero said:

:x Doh! You're correct. That's what I meant. I have to start rereading what I type

I have both the SR and DR. My opinion is that channel 3 on the DR is the most worthless channel ever incorporated into a Mesa. ( Remember, subjective ! many, many people love this channel.) Furthermore, I always run in silicon diode mode so the SR and DR fair the same in these respects for my use. The SR only requires 2 tubes vs 6 in the DR.

There are tonal differences to me. I love the sound of my SR with EL34's in it. I run a Keeley Seeing eye Mod Boss Ds-1 into a BB Xotic preamp simultaneously into the SR and love the sound. The same pedal configuration in front of my DR sounds awful even with el34's.

The SR is plenty loud. Too loud for bedroom use. The thing these amps have in common is that they sound like *** at low volume. If you cannot turn it up you will not know what it truly sounds like.

The price difference is not that much either. The DR has more features but in the end I like them both. They are different to my ears but I have not been able to part with either one yet ( but a Stilleto Deuce or Mark IV makes it tempting....)

So if I'm going to be using this amp at home (most of the time) would I be any better off with a Mark III or a Mark IV?
I've heard that Mark IV's sound very good at lower volumes, but how do the Mark III's?

well now you have added a whole new dynamic to this. First is yours a series 1 or 2 SR? I have had the series 2 rectoverb, and lets just say it was basically haveing a better clean channel then a 3 channel dual, but the modern channel was exactly the same as a 3 channel dual rec.

I also agree, i dont like the modern channel on the newer rec's, i much prefer my 2 channel dual rec's. A friend has a SR that is series 1, I havent heard it but heard is sounds great.

stompboxfreak72 said:
I have both the SR and DR. My opinion is that channel 3 on the DR is the most worthless channel ever incorporated into a Mesa. ( Remember, subjective ! many, many people love this channel.) Furthermore, I always run in silicon diode mode so the SR and DR fair the same in these respects for my use. The SR only requires 2 tubes vs 6 in the DR.

There are tonal differences to me. I love the sound of my SR with EL34's in it. I run a Keeley Seeing eye Mod Boss Ds-1 into a BB Xotic preamp simultaneously into the SR and love the sound. The same pedal configuration in front of my DR sounds awful even with el34's.

The SR is plenty loud. Too loud for bedroom use. The thing these amps have in common is that they sound like *** at low volume. If you cannot turn it up you will not know what it truly sounds like.

The price difference is not that much either. The DR has more features but in the end I like them both. They are different to my ears but I have not been able to part with either one yet ( but a Stilleto Deuce or Mark IV makes it tempting....)

kmanick said:
So if I'm going to be using this amp at home (most of the time) would I be any better off with a Mark III or a Mark IV?
I've heard that Mark IV's sound very good at lower volumes, but how do the Mark III's?

the Mark IV sounds great at lower volumes. Actually (puts flame suit on) I think all of my Mesa amps sound great at BR volume if I take the time to dial them in. I DON'T believe that a good Mesa only sounds great when cranked.

If you want to get a fantastic DR, hunt down a DR Tremoverb - IMO, the BEST DR Mesa ever put out bar none.

jman7272 said:
the Mark IV sounds great at lower volumes. Actually (puts flame suit on) I think all of my Mesa amps sound great at BR volume if I take the time to dial them in. I DON'T believe that a good Mesa only sounds great when cranked.

Then we'll burn together, 'cause I agree. Having played drums since the late '60s and guitar since the early '70's, my hearing appreciates the exceptional sound Boogies get at low volumes. I'm able to hear nuances at the lower practice volumes in both amp and guitar that I believe get lost when the decibels start crankin'.

Boogies sound great when cranked, but the ones I've owned are every bit as pleasing when low. Low volumes really display their musicality.

I thought the Tremoverb was a 'bluesier" version of DR, not as high gain as the Rect-o-verb?

kmanick said:
I thought the Tremoverb was a 'bluesier" version of DR, not as high gain as the Rect-o-verb?

Well, that depends if you can tell the difference between 75 million dollars and 77 million if you know what I mean.

The TOV will destroy modern metal tone - it IS a dual rectifier. On the lead channel, it has two modes, Blues and Modern High Gain.

Blues is exactly what it says. Sounds awesome.

The Modern High Metal is a quick trip to Metal Country (Nu and Old School) in a very tasteful, non-buzzy way. It is really a shamed that they are so hard to find and play due to their out of production status but they are known to be a great amp. Read the HC reviews and you can get a flavor of what people think of them and use them for.

In a 30 minute conversation last week with marcus from mesa, we discussed why in the world Mesa stopped making them. He pretty much echoed my thought that they were killed before their time.

Ok, /Fanboy rant of happy amp

the single to me sounds a million times better for metal.. put some El34's in and you have the most metal tight yet lot's of bottom end... then with a maxon 808 pedal in front of it makes things cooler..

FWIW I just spent three months producing an album for a band, and we had hired in a Dual Rec. My initial idea had been to use it sparingly along with the other amps I had in my studio (Orange, Marshalls young and old, Vox, Fender Custom Shop) but we ended up using it on ever song for the bulk of the parts (through a Cornford 4x12 - unbelievable sound).

We had to return the amp after a few weeks, however, and we still had plenty guitars to do, so I got a hold of a Rectoverb head (series one) and I ended up liking that even more - the high gain sounds were at least as good, and the clean and vintage sounds were notably better (to our ears ate least), particularly the clean.

In fact, to my amazement, the clean channel through an over-sized Bogner 2x12 has rendered my Fender Bass Breaker combo obsolete on this record! :shock:

I've also used it live recently on a big stage and it sounded incredible.

FWIW I just spent three months producing an album for a band, and we had hired in a Dual Rec. My initial idea had been to use it sparingly along with the other amps I had in my studio (Orange, Marshalls young and old, Vox, Fender Custom Shop) but we ended up using it on ever song for the bulk of the parts (through a Cornford 4x12 - unbelievable sound).

We had to return the amp after a few weeks, however, and we still had plenty guitars to do, so I got a hold of a Rectoverb head (series one) and I ended up liking that even more - the high gain sounds were at least as good, and the clean and vintage sounds were notably better (to our ears ate least), particularly the clean.

In fact, to my amazement, the clean channel through an over-sized Bogner 2x12 has rendered my Fender Bass Breaker combo obsolete on this record! :shock:

I've also used it live recently on a big stage and it sounded incredible.

Back