Single Recto tube question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardweller

Reaction score
I can't decide what kind of tubes I want to order.

Optimally, I'd like to have some kind of middle ground between the nu-metal chugability that the 6l6's give in modern, but with a slightly more...umm...vintage? tone...i.e. better leads etc....

So maybe a compromise of some sort? :?

RIght now, I think I'm angling towards the SED 6L6's, but I can't commit to it :?

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question in your other thread.

Try the EL34's.. it's how I managed to survive with my DR so long.

Not a prob platypus, your post was very helpful!
Waddaya think of the KT77's?
Description: If you're after that EL34 type tone but want to retain more of the low end like your 6L6's have then the KT77's may be your tube! The KT77's have even a bit more low end extension than the E34L's and they have a nice sizzle in the top end that is not brittle. The clean tone is very fat and full and the crunch has more of a chunk to it. This kit has a matched pair of the KT77's, four standard ECC83S's and one balanced ECC83S for the phase inverter in V5.

hey platypus..I didnt realize you can use kt77's in the recto. I know its got the switch on the back for el34 and 6l6's... its probably just my ignorance about those tubes. are they the same as one of the tubes mentioned above,,,just with a different #,,,,,kind of like ecc83 and 12ax7?

cellardweller said:
I can't decide what kind of tubes I want to order.

Optimally, I'd like to have some kind of middle ground between the nu-metal chugability that the 6l6's give in modern, but with a slightly more...umm...vintage? tone...i.e. better leads etc....

So maybe a compromise of some sort? :?

RIght now, I think I'm angling towards the SED 6L6's, but I can't commit to it :?

I went with the SEDs and it tamed the sound while at the same time made it sound bigger (more open).

Hope that helps :D

Some info gleaned Mr. Plekta

If your amp is the newer model that is switchable for EL34’s then you can also use the JJ EL34’s, E34L’s, KT77’s or 6V6’s. Here is how the JJ EL34 family shapes up. The standard EL34 is just like the old European EL34's. These are a bit soft with a shallower low end and a smooth breakup with a nice crunch. A typical high quality EL34.

The JJ E34L's provide a deeper low end and are more aggressive and punchy than an EL34. The E34L is tighter with slightly more headroom and power with a more aggressive crunch. A great tube for rhythm and solo work.

The JJ KT77 is not quite a tight as the E34L but tighter than an EL34. The 77's have even a bit more low end extension than the E34L's and they have a nice sizzle in the top end that is not brittle. The clean tone is very fat and full and the crunch has more of a chunk to it and it's very punchy but not quite as aggressive as the E34L. A great tube for rhythm and solo work.

So for a comparison the JJ 6L6GC's have about the same low end as the KT77's but are a cleaner tube with a later breakup and they are not as mid range heavy. More of a traditional Fender type tone. The 6L6GC's are a better way to go if you scoop your mids and these are a great tube for heavy rhythm and melodic drop tuned Metal.

The JJ 6V6's at higher volumes are a little crunchier in the mid and upper mids but still have a very full tone and will drop the power down about 10 watts from the JJ 6L6GC's which still leaves quite a bit of power. These are run in the EL34 mode.

All these options are plug and play with no mods or bias changes necessary.

The only other option would be if you want any of the preamp tubes premium graded for gain which would run 4.00 more per tube. The high gain ECC83S's have about 10% more gain than standards which adds a bit of bite and a sharper dynamic but does not hurt the clean tone. The other attribute that these tubes have is a faster filament rise time which is great for an EVH, Malmsteen, Petrucci or Satriani type style and is also good for fast palm mute styles. If you decide to use these I would use them in V1, V2 and V3 which would add 12.00 to the cost below.

There are full retube kits listed in the online store under “Single Rec, Solo 50 and Nomad 55” because the tube lineup and spec’s are exactly the same.

A full retube with a matched pair of the JJ 6L6GC's and five ECC83S's with one of them balanced for the phase splitter would run 72.50 or a full retube with the same preamp tubes and matched pair of the JJ EL34’s or E34L's for power would run 67.00 or a full retube with the same preamp tubes and matched pair of the JJ 6V6’s for power would run 67.00 and we can ship and insure any or these tube sets by Priority mail for 6.50 with a 3 day delivery anywhere in the US.

Thanks Tyrant, that's extremely informative....

So for a comparison the JJ 6L6GC's have about the same low end as the KT77's but are a cleaner tube with a later breakup and they are not as mid range heavy. More of a traditional Fender type tone. The 6L6GC's are a better way to go if you scoop your mids and these are a great tube for heavy rhythm and melodic drop tuned Metal.

I already have 6L6GC's in there, and "melodic drop tuned metal" isn't too far from the mark (I play a Schecter C7)....

Then again, that last part of the statement is kinda ambiguous, but I assume he's referring to the 6L6GC's being "a great tube for heavy rhythm and melodic drop tuned Metal."

I don't think I specified "high gain" pre amp tubes when I made my previous order, so maybe that's what I"m lacking.... :cry: :?

Back