Single Rect not cutting through the mix

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave-o

Reaction score
New single rec owner here. During band practice I have a hard time hearing myself cutting through the mix on channel 2. If Im playing clean I cut through no prob and its sounds great but when I hit the ch 2, I get lost. The band is 2 gutiars, bass, singer, drums. So far were just in the garage and not gigging.

I have a marshall 2x12 with a v-30 and g-12H

The other guitar player has a processor that he plays through the PA or his amp. Sometimes I hear him fine, others he drops out completely.

Ive tried mids up and down but still isnt cutting.

Advice??

on a side note: Im not convinced this is the amp for me. The drive channel seems awfull buzzy, Id like something a bit tighter if you know what I mean, mark IV maybee????

How high is your gain turned up on ch. 2? Try backing off some if you're running it really high.

Same thing for the other guitarist with the processor.

dave-o said:
New single rec owner here. During band practice I have a hard time hearing myself cutting through the mix on channel 2. If Im playing clean I cut through no prob and its sounds great but when I hit the ch 2, I get lost. The band is 2 gutiars, bass, singer, drums. So far were just in the garage and not gigging.

The other guitar player has a processor that he plays through the PA or his amp. Sometimes I hear him fine, others he drops out completely.

Advice??

on a side note: Im not convinced this is the amp for me. The drive channel seems awfull buzzy, Id like something a bit tighter if you know what I mean, mark IV maybee????

Keep your mids around 1:00 or higher, back off the gain to 1:00 or lower, keep the bass around 11:00 or lower. Adjust presence from there.

If the 2x12 is on the floor get it up off the ground somehow and elevate it.

Try a clean boost pedal to make the tone more edgy for palm mutes if you don't think it's tight enough.

Mark IV kicks *** by the way I love mine.

Gain is anywhere from 12:00 to 2:00. What "I"think may be the problem and I might be wrong is that I need to be louder, but when I turn up the guy with the processor cant hear himself and therefore turns up, and the volume war begins.

Well volume wars are a different story but dialing in your mids higher or running something like a tubescreamer can get you the midhump you need to cut through.

Check out www.legendarytones.com. The guy is a major Marshall lover, but he has done tons of work with major players.

As the volume goes up in a room, the eq's on the amps need to be tweeked. Move volume, demands that the bass be backed off and that the mids get turned up. Even Korn turns up their mids live to hear themselves.

Turn down the bass, turn up the mid a bunch and the treble some, and you'll cut through the mix much better, and actually sound more like you want to. Now when the band stops playing, you'll freak out over how "bad" your amp sounds, but that is the trick, one sound to record, and one sound to actually sound good and hear yourself playing live.

Sounds like you guys are both competing for the same sonic real estate.

Is he using a "Recto" model by any chance? Try another model or, try to get him to EQ somewhat opposite of what you do.

That said, your tube amp is always going to stomp all over that modeller. I had a friend come over to jam with us one night and let him use my GT-8 straight into our PA (I've set up about eight patches just for that). Well, it wasn't too long before he was turning up to be heard over my Triaxis setup. It wasn't too long after that that the level in the room became unbearable because we both kept turning up a little because whenever I would turn up to equalize the little volume difference, the "fullness/cut/bite/etc..." of my amp would just kill the GT-8.

Modelers are fun and great for practice, but they don't cut it for me in a live band situation. Maybe, just maybe, if I was the only guitarist in a cover band I'd use it.

thanks mesa115 and everyone else, thats some good advice, Ill try that.

If you replace the Chinese preamp tubes with some JJ ECC83's, Tung-Sol 12AX7's, Sovtek 12ax7 LPS, or GT 12AX7M's, the amp won't be so buzzy. Chinese tubes have more high end fizz to them.

If can't afford to replace all of them, then V1, V2, and V5 would still be a big improvement.

If that is too much and you only want to replace one tube, at least replace the V1 tube. It has the most affect on your overall tone.

-Steve

Best way around this problem is make sure there is enough seperation between you and the second guitarist. With that being said do not point the speakers towards each other and make sure each one of you stand in front of your own cab and you are at least ten feet apart from each other. then set volume level by both of you standing about 15 feet in front of the whole setup, you should be able to hear each guitar on there side of the room and they should both be the same volume so it sounds in stereo.

If he is going directly into the PA then my suggestion to you is to put your cab in another room and mic it into the PA as well. Also make sure that in the PA you guys pan, one being on the right channel and one being on the left channel. If you try to mix both guitars on the same channel one will just override the other guy if playing the same exact parts.

dave-o said:

Advice??

Try turning down your channel master volume and turn up your power amp level(marked as Output on your amp). This will give you the punch to cut through @ reasonable levels. It will also do wonders for your clean channel. :wink:

There should be no reason why you shouldn't be cutting through the mix.... I think it's just the "volume war" which I think we all go through if we play with more than one guitar player. All these suggestions above are good....... well, maybe not the Voodoo amp mod, not that that's bad but you shouldn't need the mod to have good tone.

tele_jas said:
There should be no reason why you shouldn't be cutting through the mix.... I think it's just the "volume war" which I think we all go through if we play with more than one guitar player. All these suggestions above are good....... well, maybe not the Voodoo amp mod, not that that's bad but you shouldn't need the mod to have good tone.

+1--
I didnt spend 1800 to have to go out and get it modified to make it sound good. For some thats cool but not so much for me-- If I were you I might try working with the channel 3 a little. Channel 2 has about 1/3 of the presence capability as Channel 3. By switching to channel 3 and bringing your presence up greater than noon you should see a drastic improvement in your cutting power and tightness of your notes. Hope this helps! :wink:

Micah said:
If I were you I might try working with the channel 3 a little.

My understanding is the Single Rec is the same as the Rect-O-Verb without the reverb circuit...there is no channel 3 AFAIK.

And you're right about the extra expense. The Voodoo mod is expensive and I'm fortunate to have had enough money to customize my sound when I bought the amp. The Rect-O-Verb sounded great before the mod, too, like I'm sure dave-o's Single Rec does. The Voodoo mod altered the personality of the amp such that my guitar can be heard more distinctly regardless of the other instrumentation.

"Good tone" is not really the same thing as being heard in the mix, especially in a practice setting like a garage. There are "good" guitar tones--whatever that means to each of us--that will be more distinctive than other tones in a band situation. It's harder to do with the 2-channel rectifiers, as dave-o and I have both discovered.

dave-o: all these suggestions are solid, of course. Just don't expect the tone knobs to work miracles when you're playing in tight quarters. The Single Rec is a great amp, but if you don't have the practice space to take siggy14's advice, someone's going to have to give in and change their tone quite a bit. When you guys start gigging, stay on opposite sides of the drummer and things will improve all by themselves.

Have fun experimenting!

I like the presence idea. I still think you can keep your mids low if you turn the presence up for more cut. I have my mids on channel two modern at just under 10 O'clock and I can hear myself great at rehearsal.

Nazgul666 said:
I like the presence idea. I still think you can keep your mids low if you turn the presence up for more cut. I have my mids on channel two modern at just under 10 O'clock and I can hear myself great at rehearsal.

Cool...in rehearsal, I actually use more presence, too. I don't turn the presence up very far during a live performance, when instruments are spread out so much further.

Do you play with another guitarist? A Keyboard player? I'm generally in the vicinity of the keyboardist, and he often uses some tones that can really make the guitar disappear.

Back