Simul/EQ C+ owners using STR-447's in Class-A?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Octavarius said:
Great. You didn't ask about the X101 tranny, then? :( Well, let's hope BB is right about it biasing the tube to the same level. :shock: Good info! :)

That info is specific to any amp.

I feel stupid, as all of my 1 and 8 connections are grounded.

Yes, the stock simul 7C1 does not connect pin 1 and 8 so I used buss wire to ground them on the outer sockets. Mike B. reccomends it. He does it two ways, depending on how busy he is. Type A is a nice buss wire going from pin 8 to the ground trace on the power board. Type B is any **** wire in sight soldered to pin 1.

It's one of the first mods I do after cleaning it. **** !!!!

Just curious, what does the grounding really do to help preventing the tube from red plating? :? Is this something I should consider doing too, or is it unnecessary in my case?

Octavarius said:
Just curious, what does the grounding really do to help preventing the tube from red plating? :? Is this something I should consider doing too, or is it unnecessary in my case?

On a 6L6, pin 1 is a dead pin. On an EL34 it is another grid, or supressor grid and in almost every case, it should be rounded by connection to pin 8.

Update:

The grounding of pin #1 helped the redplating issue in Class-A. The part that sucks *** is that the righthand STR-442 had a "blue flamer" after only about 2 minutes of Class-A playing (rhythm channel with master on 3). I'm happy that it only got a fuse and tube this time. Replaced the fuse and put my GT6L6-GE's in the Class-A sockets. Good tone, but now I am "skeered" to push this amp with the expensive tubes. I got me a "RA number" today and am sending it to the doctor in Petaluma. Tune in about 6 weeks from now for another episode of "As the Tube Burns" :lol:

Peace out

The amp should be in my hands early next week. Complete with one pair of STR-415's and one pair of STR-416"s. As the saying goes, "I could tell you, but ........." about the 6CA7's. It received a full exorcism at the hands of the master C+ expert, and will hopefully knock my socks off with this tube setup. It was expensive, but you only live once. :eek: All is well, no transformer issues, which is every C+ owners' worst nightmare. I'm starting to get hyped, can you tell?

I'm past the 2 year mark with the Sylvania tubes, and all is well. It may have been an issue with the amp, or just me pushing it to the limit. All in all, it was a learning experience. You have never had a "pucker up" until you see smoke come from your prize amp, twice. :shock:

Latest posts

Back