Silent recording with Mark V? (Like the Mark IV option?)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatDamnSG

Reaction score
I've been using a Mark IV for some time now and one of the things I like about it is the recording out with pull mute on the master knob. I run the line out into my computer and use Recabinet cab/mic sim software and can either practice or record with my M IV's tone with headphones. Its a great option and actually sounds better than most real mic situations, saves me from driving the wife and neighbors nuts as well.

One thing that's keeping me from making the jump to a Mark V is that it doesn't seem to have this option. I notice there's a mute for the tuner out. Will this also work as a silent recording out? I don't see a dedicated out for recording on the rear panel like the Mark IV has. Has anyone looked into this feature on the Mark V? I downloaded the manual but it really makes no mention of it.

I use this all the time. On the Mark V the pulling on the SOLO knob will send the signal at the back near the footwich cable its labelled TUNER. I use a speaker emulator and I think the result is quite decent. There was a recent post from someone who mentionned that he could not get as good a recording as when he use a Mark IV but personnaly I think it does the trick for me.

Thanks LPJunky. I wasn't aware of that on the Mark V, it doesn't seem to make any mention in the manual. Are you able to still use the effects loop at that point? I was doing some more info hunting on this and found a post somewhere else on another board where someone was complaining they completely lose use of the loop when doing what you described. I get excellent results with the Mark IV and cab sim software btw.

ThatDawnSG, you raise a good point. Myself I run my home setup differently than I use it at a gig. I place my MarkV Head in my home setup effect loop (I still apply the delays, and mod type effects after the MkV, the wah and other stuff before the MkV). I tried to understand the MkV schematics but I got lost in the exact behavior of the MkV effect loop. The easiest way for me will be to try it tonight. I compared to the MkIV schematics and realized one thing :shock: . First, they both get the signal after the GEQ (tuner OUT for MkV and REC Out for MkIV). They both use only the preAmp signal, SO since their respective output transformer are not at all used (discontinued by OEM I understand, is that right?) their sound going direct should be more similar then in a live comparison ! No? Especially in IV mode. Sorry i ventured on that slippery ground again. :wink:

The other option is to use the Slave Out, but then you'll have to unplug the speakers for silent recording. Make sure you have a dummy load connected (i.e. hotplate, weber mass etc.) if you unplug the speakers, otherwise you'll damage the amp. The Slave Out is the line out signal post preamp & poweramp. I believe the Tuner Out signal is post preamp, but pre poweramp. At least that's what I read on another thread. I have tried both the Tuner Out and Slave Out and cannot tell much of a difference between the two. The Tuner Our signal is definitely usable but very hot, I need to turn the gain down substantially on my audio interface, where as the Slave Out has its own level adjustment control and is more manageable.

yarzo said:
The other option is to use the Slave Out, but then you'll have to unplug the speakers for silent recording. Make sure you have a dummy load connected (i.e. hotplate, weber mass etc.) if you unplug the speakers, otherwise you'll damage the amp. The Slave Out is the line out signal post preamp & poweramp. I believe the Tuner Out signal is post preamp, but pre poweramp. At least that's what I read on another thread. I have tried both the Tuner Out and Slave Out and cannot tell much of a difference between the two. The Tuner Our signal is definitely usable but very hot, I need to turn the gain down substantially on my audio interface, where as the Slave Out has its own level adjustment control and is more manageable.

I have used the Slave out for direct recording with great results. As yarzo says, make sure you have a dummy load connected to the speaker jack on the amp. The slave out signal is a speaker level signal and is very loud. I would strongly recommend attenuating the signal by about 5-6 dB (You can get a DI box which includes this feature, I don't like the THD Hot Plate attenuation) and then send it to your interface.Now the only thing you need to complete the picture is a good cabinet emulation. I would highly recommend recabi.net' s impulse responses for this (The 4x12 Ghandi which is a Recto 4x12 emulation can be downloaded for free I think).

cheers,
Supreeth

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses and help. I'm currently using my Mark IV combo with the recording out into Recabinet. Sounds great. I really would like a Mark V but my old IV (its a '92) is still a tried and true amp. I'd have to part with it to afford a V and I'm just not ready to do that yet, then probably have to buy more gear to be able to silently record.

What load boxes are recommended (preferrably the cheapest possible...i don't really need an attenuator...just something i can disconnect the cabinet)

Latest posts

Back