Should Mesa Boogie reissue the Mark IIC+ ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think?
Simply put: Yes! I would not have the output tube sockets on the main PCB just due to the heat breaking down the fiberglass and components. Sound's like at least 3K for a re-issue that is even close to the same spec and components.

I feel like the JP2C is the reissue we're going to get. I mean, maybe not, I could be wrong, Gibson being who they are, cashing in on their legacy at every chance they get, I could see them doing an official reissue, w/o JPs name attrached, but I feel like that would kill sales of the JP2C. Either way, I have my Mark 3, JP2C, and Mark 7, which all sound fantastic, and honestly, I feel like the Mark VII improves on my OG Mark 3, it's that good, I don't find it sterile or lacking.
Considering Mesa brought back the compact Mark combo size, no reason they cannot stuff the JP2C chassis into that combo shell. It will fit. If they do it right, and choose a better speaker that can hold up better than the MC90, EVM front baffle mounted will fit, rear baffle mounted is a no go.

Both the JP2C and the Mark VII sound really good through the EVM12L Classic speaker. I have one loaded in a widebody 112 open back cab. It was not a good fit with the Mark V90 though. I am not much of a fan for the MC90 speaker. Probably why I will not buy another combo if it has that speaker in it. You can get to gig level without fear of the dust cap popping off with the EVM12L Classic or Black label speaker and it works great at bedroom level as well. The JP2C and the Mark VII has the proper tune in the design of the amp so it is not boxy or nasal sounding or shrill like the Mark V90. Even the Mark IVB had that nasal tone to it, EV was not ideal with that amp either. My taste was with the Mark III blue stripe combo with the EVM12L Black Shadow speaker. I found the EV black Label was as close in construction to the one Mesa used back in the late 80's. The current EV classis is not that much different. Now made in Mexico. I had a 1990 EVM12L classic, the suspension was a bit softer than the black shadow version. Also had a softer sound to it. We all have our preferences.

If they did a IIC+ reissue, I would consider it. However, the complexity of the Mark III combo requiring a decoder ring to get clean and lead and such was a pain. No happy median if you want to switch channels. I believe that is what makes the JP2C more attractive as I do not have to reach for the dials to get a clean sound and then reach for them again to get the lead I want. Then again, if the amp sounds great at a moderate gain setting and has the dynamics of the RA100 I am in. Love an amp that can be set aggressive and rolling back on the guitar volume cleans it up without loss of volume.

So what formats? HRG, SRG, DRG? What about the KRG? Then what power tubes will we be getting with this? STR448 or the STR445? I doubt they have enough of the STR415 tubes. Would the DRG be using the STR415 and STR416? Will the preamp be using JJ ECC83s? Tungsram? Perhaps I am overthinking this.

I actually like my Mark III Blue stripe better than the 2C+ I had, more touch responsive and definitely more usable at non-crushing gain levels.

Last edited:
I'd love to see them do aomwrh
I actually like my Mark III Blue stripe better than the 2C+ I had, more touch responsive and definitely more usable and non-crushing gain levels.
Careful, you'll cause Mark III prices to skyrocket!! 😄 Seriously though I like the III better as well, sounds super crushing, slightly more aggressive than the regular IIC+ modes I've played, or the JP2C

I'd love to see them do aomwrh

Careful, you'll cause Mark III prices to skyrocket!! 😄 Seriously though I like the III better as well, sounds super crushing, slightly more aggressive than the regular IIC+ modes I've played, or the JP2C

People are already trying to get stupid money for them but they aren't moving. I paid around $2k about a month ago and that was too much judging by recent sales. I still see people listing for $3k and more, but the ones actually selling are $2k and under.

Still ok with it as I pocketed quite a bit vs what I sold the 2c+ for, and got, what is for my purposes at least, an upgrade.

The notion that the sound is in unique special components that aren't made anymore is bogus. Or another word with the letters B and S in it.

Caps? Orange drops. Still made today by CDE. Resistors? Same Vishay resistors made in '78 are still made today.

Anybody who wants a Mark II or III reissue doesn't have a problem with the control and pull switch layout.

Build what the customers want built. They know what they want.

Some people LIKE their cars to have manual transmissions and no computer.
I like my 2001 Viper GTS with the V-10 and T-56 manual and can't even imagine it with a turbo 4-cyl, even if it was faster. It's the principality of the matter. LOL Ever hear the phrase "You can't compete with a ghost" Hmmmm

I like my 2001 Viper GTS with the V-10 and T-56 manual and can't even imagine it with a turbo 4-cyl, even if it was faster. It's the principality of the matter. LOL Ever hear the phrase "You can't compete with a ghost" Hmmmm
They changed it to electric and it runs on two D cell batteries. No more V10 as that engine was ditched in favor of the electric light bulb. EV suck and not the speaker.

Latest posts

Back