Should I trade my trem'o'verb to a mk. IIc

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc52

Reaction score
Hey,

A guy asked me to trade my TOV-combo into a mk. IIc combo.

I really want a mk IIc+, and with the combo I could sent it to mesa and get the upgrade right?

It is with simulclass and reverb, but without the eq, but couldn't I just put a eq in the loop? and would it sound as good as if it was integrated?

Pic:
%5C65561175_04042010160836_1594_3.jpg

Regards Peter from Denmark.

:D

Two potential issues:

(1) Is that IIC really simul-class? Were any Mark IIC's simul-class? I am NOT an expert on when simul-class was introduced by Mesa. But, of the few Mark IIC's that I know of (mine was one, for example), they had all been either 60 or 100W non-simul-class versions. If you're even a little bit uncertain, I would call Mesa Boogie and have them check your serial number. If it is not simul-class, that's completely fine...you should just know what you're getting.

(2) The upgrade is very expensive. They upgrade is pretty expensive. Between the tune-up, and the upgrade, it probably cost me $600-700. And, I had to ship the amp to California. That could be pretty expensive from Europe. Ouch. Again, you can call Mesa Boogie to get the current price for the upgrade.

So, be sure that you know what you're getting into before making the trade.

Good luck!

Chip

Hi the amp is none simul class but a 100/60 watt, still a smoking good amp.

Im danish to :)

cremona said:
Hi the amp is none simul class but a 100/60 watt, still a smoking good amp.

Im danish to :)

Hey Cremona! :D

What's your opinion on the subject?

Hi peter

Well i have never heard a 100/60 watt but i tried four 6l6 in my simul clas c+, sounds pretty good but to my ears but a littel clinical and cold, running it with the recormended setup with 2 el34 and 2 6l6 most diffently sounds best, more soul and more violin like, but the c+ crunch tones excist in both tube setups, ofcause a 100/60 would sound differently .

My advice , simply try and listen to it , if it blows you away, then imagin that it will sound even more dynamic and awsome with the + mod.

But be aware that as with my amp, it could need a tune up wich will cost you even more, so you must calculate that shipping it to mesa is proberly a good idea regardless of the + mod.

Bottom line listen to it, you are also welcome to listen to mine here in copenhagen , but il soon have it serviced so it might not be running at 100%, and BTW its a keeper and not for sale :D

peterc52 said:
without the eq, but couldn't I just put a eq in the loop? and would it sound as good as if it was integrated?

Simply put yes and no.

The Mesa EQ has very specific frequencies that you will NOT find on any other graphic EQ pedal (I have searched high and low for one because I used to have a non-EQ C+). Mesa's EQ uses 80hz, 240hz, 750hz, 2200hz, and 6600hz.

Most graphic EQ pedals use 100hz, 200, 400, 800, 1.600, 3.200, 6.400. The frequencies are different. Also, the Mesa EQ is highly transparent--there is no difference in tone from when the EQ is OFF to when it is ON and the sliders are set flat. With any other EQ pedal you buy, there will be a slight loss or change of the original tone when the EQ is turned ON.

But, at the end of the day, it still is an EQ pedal and will cut and boost frequencies and get you a scooped tone.

Just don't be led to believe that it will sound the same as the Mesa EQ, or that it's a direct replacement. I used to think that and picked up a C+ no EQ. It has since been sold because I realized how powerful the Mesa EQ is.

If you really want a C+, wait for a C+. Don't settle for less.

gts said:
chipaudette said:
(1) Is that IIC really simul-class? Were any Mark IIC's simul-class? I am NOT an expert on when simul-class was introduced by Mesa. But, of the few Mark IIC's that I know of (mine was one, for example), they had all been either 60 or 100W non-simul-class versions.
Yes Mesa definitely made IIC's that were Simul.

I'm pretty sure some IIB's were Simul as well.
+1. I read here that IIBs were the first Simuls: http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/MarkIIC.html

I totally agree with the previous post that the built-in EQ has a unique design. It does sound pretty transparent when set flat...unlike some other pedals. There are those around here, however, who believe that all the EQ versions of Mark I and Mark II sound worse than their EQ counterparts.

The previous post, however, mentioned the unique-ness of the frequencies for each EQ band. Yes, they are unqiue, but don't get too focused on the frequencies listed for each band. In my experience (ie, on my amp at least), the actual frequencies are pretty far off from the labeled frequencies. Based on injecting white noise and measuring the output at different slider positions, I found that the mid slider (750Hz), for example, was centered more around 600 Hz than 750Hz. I don't remember where the bands were actually located, but I think that they were all off.

So, yes, the built-in EQ is different sounding than an EQ pedal. But yes, you can still get a rocking tone from an EQ pedal if you don't have a built-in EQ. Yes, the built-in EQ does indeed have unique frequencies that you can't get in a pedal. No, the labeled frequency values on the built-in EQ are not necessarily accurate...you'll have to use your ears.

Enjoy!

Chip

Thanks for all the response!

I've decided that I won't trade. I will wait for the right IIc+ to come around. :D

@Cremona: I would love to try your c+, I actually have your mail, so I will mail you. :)

Latest posts

Back