Should I sell my Dual Recto 3ch and get a Randall MTS RM100?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon9271

Reaction score
I've read a lot about the Randall MTS amps and everybody seems to say they are great! Very versatile as far as tone you can get. Anything from Vox, Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Bogner... It really sounds too good to be true but from the reviews it seems like it is.. Plus, it has a parallel AND series loop unlike my Mesa which I would have to mod.. Plus, it MIDI capable right out of the box. It really sounds like exactly what I'm after and I've found a great deal on one ($600 without modules.. ) anybody ever played one?

You know? They are great amps. I was looking into buying one before I found my Recto. They sound incredible and most of the modules sound very close to the originals. If you have the cash you should check out the Egnater MOD100...

Hope it helps...

thanks for the info! I most definitely don't have the money for the Mod100 :D ($2995) Whatt made you decide to go with the Recto with the RM100 could be had for about the same price? also.. isnt the Randall pretty much the same as the Mod100? Its a 100 watt head with 3 module slots.. maybe the Randall is the "poor man's" version?

Dual channel modules with the MOD100. Also, Egnater hand-built quality. Plus, you are comparing the fully loaded MOD100 price to an unloaded RM100. With the dual channel modules running about $400 each, the MOD100 is more around $1,800 just for the head. But that is still quite a bit more $$ than the RM100.

that's a good point and I'd love to have the Egnater(if I could afford it)... but I can get a RM100 for $629 + $600 for three modules so that's only $1229 :p The question is... will it sound as good or better than my Mesa so I wont regret selling it... Ty Tabor is using the Randall RM4 now and that says a lot to me because I have always loved his tone...

TY: I've been using, believe it or not, some tube Randall gear, the MTS series, designed by Bruce Egnater. They're just tremendous amps. I can't explain how awesome these amps are. It's been a long time since I just plugged into something and found home. They're all tube, all real sounding, and you just slip modules in and out of the front of the amp, tubes and all. In other words, it's like having several major, expensive tube amps all in one. I've got every kind of Marshall; I've got top boost AC-30s, Fenders, everything you can imagine. And the fact is, I have several of the actual Marshalls and Boogies to compare them against. The Egnater versions are better than all of the real amps. That's why I'm freaking out.

brandon9271 said:
thanks for the info! I most definitely don't have the money for the Mod100 :D ($2995) Whatt made you decide to go with the Recto with the RM100 could be had for about the same price? also.. isnt the Randall pretty much the same as the Mod100? Its a 100 watt head with 3 module slots.. maybe the Randall is the "poor man's" version?

The price!!! I just got a good deal on the recto, but I don't regret getting it.

ConvexStone said:
brandon9271 said:

The price!!! I just got a good deal on the recto, but I don't regret getting it.
well that makes sense! I think I could probably get $1000 for my Recto (3channel) because its in great shape. That makes a $230 difference in having a brand new RM100 with 3 modules that suit whatever style I want.. I'm wonder though whether or not the modules can sound that drastically different, especially considering that the RM100 doesn't have the ability to switch between EL34s and 6L6s on the fly like the RM2/50 can. but I guess I could bias the RM100 to run a pair of each??

As far as I know, the Randalls are made in China vs. the Eggies in the USA. Also, the Randall only can use one channel on the dual channel Eggie modules.

Back