Should I put El34's/84 in the Mark V or Lonestar Classic?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonanderson23

Reaction score
I use a Mark V head for blues/classic/country rock bar cover band stuff. Since getting the Mark V my fairly new Lonestar Classic head is just sitting around as a backup. How about changing the tubes to El 34's or 84's in one of them to get a full range of sounds and get a head switcher to go back and forth during a gig decreasing the pedal need. Any ideas on which amp to change the tubes on or which tube. I can't afford to get several different types of tubes to experiment with. Thanks guys.

I think that both of these particular amps are 6L6 based for a reason. They are voiced with that tube in mind but if I had to pick I'd put EL34s in the Mark IV.

Here is something you could do.

Use the Lonestar channel one for a Fender Blackface type sound. Use channel two for a slightly broken up tweed sound. This covers a lot of ground right there.

Next, set up channel one of the Mark V for a surgical, compressed clean... really clean! Set channel two for your "crunch' tone and three for a crazy lead tone.

jonanderson23 said:
I use a Mark V head for blues/classic/country rock bar cover band stuff. Since getting the Mark V my fairly new Lonestar Classic head is just sitting around as a backup. How about changing the tubes to El 34's or 84's in one of them to get a full range of sounds and get a head switcher to go back and forth during a gig decreasing the pedal need. Any ideas on which amp to change the tubes on or which tube. I can't afford to get several different types of tubes to experiment with. Thanks guys.

Hi there, I just put EL-34s in my Lonestar Classic. Sounds phenomenal. I highly recommend it. Is till have another LSC with 6L6s in them. Can't go wrong with that. Peace, -G.

Latest posts

Back