Should I consider Nomad or F-series too?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnb1kr

Reaction score
Posted this question to the Modern amp forum also.

I sold my Mark IV and am looking for either a DC-3 or DC-5. I just want a simpler to use amp than the IV. I am in no hurry and can wait for one of the 2 to come along but should I consider one of the Nomad or F-series. I really like the fact that the Nomads are 3 channel but I really like the graphic option of the DC-series. I play classic hard rock but no nu-metal but like to verge on Metallica black album tones.odern amps too.

I have heard nothing but bad about the nomads and a lot of good about the DC series. I suggest getting the DC-3 since it seems like a good compromise between the amps you are looking at.

I don't have much experience with the F series as I briefly played a F-50 in a music last year. I didn't like the gain structure as it seemed to go from cruddy to over the top very quickly. I would rather have less gain on tap and a more subtle transition between the low register on the gain control. I recently bought a Subway Rocket and wasn't too crazy about the high gain with the contour but the mid gain tones seem to be stellar. If the DC is like the Subway rocket I would whole heartedly recommend a DC series amp and the graphic EQ should blow away the contour preset mid scoop on the subway rocket.

Greg

I've always wondered about the Nomads, myself. I've read some like them, others not like them (though can't remember the specifics of the dislike). But the 3 channels are a compelling plus, if it sounds good of course. Maybe worth a try.

That said, I personally would not consider an F-series. I, too, don't like the gain as much as the DCs, and the Contour is a very poor (crap, IMHO) substitute to the far-superior graphic EQ which lends the DCs and Marks *much* greater tonal latitude. Of course, all IMHO :)

Edward

Thanks, Kind of confirmed my thoughts. I had the DC-3 before the Mark IV and liked it. Thought the DC-5 would be a good option too with the 6l6's for a little tighter bottom. I would buy either. I too had heard some bad about the Nomads but the 3 channels is still alluring. It's still a Boogie so I would think quality?

I used a nomad for a while because the clean channel was awsome and I used FX through the front of it. It has it's place, but it is not a high gain amp. It does the brown sound well, but the gain on both C2 and C3 were not different enough for me. C3 on the nomad didn't produce enough gain to match R2 on the mark IV. There are a lot of nomad users out there that swear by the amp and that is ok for them, I really don't have anything against the amp at all, it's just not as versatile as the MKIV. Hope this helps.

A few of the knocks on the Nomad are the poor reverb, Ch.3 volume drop and reliability issues with the pots on the front. I found the reverb decent on Ch.1 and was able to cope with Ch.3 through a Boss EQ. I did find the parallel loop annoying for my needs but other than that I have found some very good rock, hard rock, blues and jazz tones out of it. Each channel has a switch which basically makes it a 6 channel amp. Channel 1 pushed with the master at 1 o'clock is fantastic as well as basically anything on Ch.2. Many people seemed disappointed with Ch.3. I found some nice blues tones and a decent older metal tone out of it. I still have a 4x10 combo version of the Nomad55. I still think it has one of the best clean tones I've heard and it will do ac-dc and srv all day long. 6L6 or EL34 with the bias switch. Nice amp but probably not the best in the line. I can say it is versatile and sounds great w/ the 4 alnico drivers. Good Luck!

Tyrant said:
A few of the knocks on the Nomad are the poor reverb, Ch.3 volume drop and reliability issues with the pots on the front. I found the reverb decent on Ch.1 and was able to cope with Ch.3 through a Boss EQ. I did find the parallel loop annoying for my needs but other than that I have found some very good rock, hard rock, blues and jazz tones out of it. Each channel has a switch which basically makes it a 6 channel amp. Channel 1 pushed with the master at 1 o'clock is fantastic as well as basically anything on Ch.2. Many people seemed disappointed with Ch.3. I found some nice blues tones and a decent older metal tone out of it. I still have a 4x10 combo version of the Nomad55. I still think it has one of the best clean tones I've heard and it will do ac-dc and srv all day long. 6L6 or EL34 with the bias switch. Nice amp but probably not the best in the line. I can say it is versatile and sounds great w/ the 4 alnico drivers. Good Luck!

Pretty much sums it up. I had a 55 watt 1x12 combo...played mostly on Ch 1 pushed and Ch 2 (either setting). I didn't spend much time in Ch 3 - just not my style of music, but it was fun to explore occasionally. I did replace one pot, which worked OK but was able to spin 360 if pulled slightly..weird. There's lots of good Boogie sound in it and it covers lots of ground - very versatile especially with the El34 option.

I must say, my biggest gripe with the Nomads was you can't tell where the knobs are set unless your eyes are on the same level! I didn't think they came close to the M/B hype, but there are a few people on HC and elsewhere that swear by them, especially the 45. I liked the F-50 a lot, especially where without the contour, it was a very fat singing type of tone, whereas I find my DC-5 absolutely unusable w/o the 5-band engaged, especially on the lead channel. Definitely check them all out!

Latest posts

Back