Should I buy it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpepiman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My local Guitar Center just got a used Mark III black stripe in and it's in good condition and works.

My current home setup is a 1984 Mesa Mark IIC+ combo, Marshall TSL100 head, Fender HRDx. I bring the Marshall head to gigs and use my F-50 at band practice which stays at my drummers house.

Do you think the Mesa Mark III black stripe would be a good addition for gigs. I wanted to get a Mark IV head sometime for gigs but I really wouldn't even need the extra channel. I find that I usually only play with one setting throughout a whole gig and just use my guitar to change my sound and a boost pedal for solos.

They are asking $599 sticker price. I could probably get it for $550, maybe $500.

Do you think I should pick this baby up?

Please reply. Thank you,

-Alan

yeah i had a simulclass mk3 w/eq, celstion it would do you good except i had simulclass and used 15watt setting w/mesa 6ca7s, so i don't know for sure 8)

i think you would be better off getting a recto..the IIc+ can do all that the III can do but better...a recto is differnt and contrasts nicely..

mine is the black dot mk3.simulclass,eq and reverb.its combo.never played other stripe before,i find it has a raw tone to it and more than enough gain.i use only the clean and lead channel...Go for it.

Rectos dont do it for me too..

Why not just gig the IIC+ if you just use one sound primarily live? Or why not take your F-50 out?

The Mark III sounds like a decent deal. If it was me, I would already have it if I could get it for $500 regardless if I was gigging it or the IIC+. At $500 you could play it for a while and decide later whether or not to keep it then flip it probably for a profit of a little extra cash or as good trade stock if you decided not to keep it.

I would say that a Mark IV would be more versatile and can assimilate the Mark III though. You might find using the versatility of the Mark IV a necessity down the road. Though I tend to try to be minimalistic I find the Mark IV a joy to use. It took a little bit to learn how to dial it in but that may be because it is my first Mesa. Before I bought the Mark IV I played quite a few Mesa's and found that only the Mark IV was a wise investment for the approach to gear that I have. Though it would have been nice to get a IIC+, I still find that the Mark IV is hard to beat. The Mark III and it's host of individual pedals necessary to control its features was a serious drawback and I really didn't want to have to build or buy a cutom footswitch. So, I just opted for the Mark IV. This is not to say a IIC+ is not in my future but until I really settle on a particular tone ( it would really need to be the IIC+) I just don't see the necessity to get one. I get enough Boogie sound out of the Mark IV and can flip, slide and dial my way around with it to make it sound very different even to its previous settings. Then there is the ability to lower your output power. I am still in the process of acquiring 6V6's. If you wanted to have the Mark IV in a venue that wouldn't allow the volume levels necesssary to run 6L6's you could use the 6V6's and still get your Mark IV in the door.

At that price I wouldn't hesitate for a single second, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. You've pretty much got nothing to lose.

I had the same idea, and bought a 60 watt Mk III black stripe head for 500. I keep the IIC+ at home and bring the III when I jam w/ friends. the III black strip is a little more raw and edgy that the IIC+ but nice, almost crunchy on the Ryth 2 channel. I also have a Mk IV I bought thinking it would replace the MK III, but no dice. the simplicity and tone of the III is much better for playing out than the IV. The IV is nice for home, requires much tweaking, the III is almost plug and play if you know Boogies.

I saw snatch it up especially if it has the EQ and reverb.
DC

Latest posts

Back