Short plate vs long plate. Common cathode vs common anode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timbre Wolf said:
I've played countless club shows, for over a decade, shlepping my own gear (carefully), and would not hesitate to use NOS tubes (they seem to be more durable, in general, anyway). Why? Again, because I can feel the difference, and it is important to my playing style. If I was just pegging the gain in my amp most the time, the increased compression and distortion would probably prevent me from noticing much of a difference.
- T

From a tone perspective, you're absolutely right - different tubes "feel" different when I play. Some make the playing easier, some more difficult.

I will disagree with you and fatboy135 about only using NOS for jazz or playing clean (or at least, clean to mild overdrive). I play with a Rectoverb, in the modern setting (think high gain) and can definitely hear (and feel) a difference when I have my Telefunken, Raytheon and Amperex 12AX7's in there. They smooth out the sound so that there's more of a textured quality, even at high gain. No more icepick highs, and a big step away from the classic "nu-metal" sound (to my ears anyways).

SneakyPete said:
Timbre Wolf said:
I will disagree with you and fatboy135 about only using NOS for jazz or playing clean (or at least, clean to mild overdrive).
I've never said to avoid NOS for any style other than jazz (which can be anything) or cleans/low gain. I play with extremely overdriven sounds, at times, and can also tell the difference between a quality tube, and one that just limps along.

But I do notice the transitional (clean to breakup) areas of gain really show off the supreme qualities of a fine tube.

- T

different tubes "feel" different when I play.
I´m agree

Some make the playing easier, some more difficult.
[/quote
I´m disagree I saw steve morse playing a gig with 2 peavey bandits ( solid state tech ) and dude that fucking picking was amazing even in an ******* amps.

will disagree with you and fatboy135 about only using NOS for jazz or playing clean
I try to means that nos tubes are a bit nonsense in a punk concert where everybody are drunken and nobody could hear the difference between a sovtek than a mullard :) they only want "Anarchy in the U.k." they don´t want to hear " my mullard are the best of the world "

fatboy135 said:
I try to means that nos tubes are a bit nonsense in a punk concert where everybody are drunken and nobody could hear the difference between a sovtek than a mullard :) they only want "Anarchy in the U.k." they don´t want to hear " my mullard are the best of the world "

My mistake then - even though Anarchy in the UK *would* sound better with Mullards :lol:

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! yeahhh argüelles punkis style :mrgreen: aka perroflautas (pipedogs)

perroflauta9hj.jpg

sorry for the offtopic. :oops:

What tubes do you recommend me, for jazz, in a rectoverb?

gracias machow! a ver si se da por aludido. Cuales me recomendarias para rock entonces? con el rectoverb toco todo tipo de rock, la verdad.

Ehy timbre wolf, could you help me with my jazz sounds on my rectoverb, please? :D It comes a tubes change on a few months and I dont know what tubes buy for clean jazzy sound. thanks!

ostia tio pues realmente es un poco complicado recomendar solo un tipo de valvula, normalmente se coje un set de valvulas y se va testeando para ver como suenan mejor, no hay formula magica, solo ensayo y error, aun asi te recomiendo para rock: jj ecc83s, jj803s, eh, SED, National 5751 y si quieres alguna sovtek lps, voy a traducir para que no se mosqueen

It´s impossible to recomend the holy grail tube set, usually I take my favourites tubes and do the classical monkey banana room and chair essay and error, trying to move the chair along the room to get the banana :) there isn´t any harry potter magical or trick tube set, for that reasons I recomend to you get some tubes and test them. For example my favourites for rock are: jj ecc83s, jj803s, eh, SED, National 5751 even some sovtek lps ( they are wonderful on AC heaters ). take some of them and try it, for example I usually like eh on first preamp stages, jj on middle preamp stages and SED and national 5751 for the last preamp stages, on the other hand SRV used the 5751 on first position, there are so possibles as men are in the world, so get for your personal taste.

muchas gracias tio, cuando llegue el momento del cambio, fijo que te pegare un toque para pedir consejo mas concreto.

thanks man, i will contact you when i have to change the tubes.

Aldo said:
timbre wolf, could you help me with my jazz sounds on my rectoverb, please? :D It comes a tubes change on a few months and I dont know what tubes buy for clean jazzy sound. thanks!
I'm no Jazz aficionado, and don't really know what a "Jazz" sound is, but if you describe what you want in terms of tonal emphasis, dynamics, breakup/clean response, clarity, etc., I could point you towards a couple of choices.

This is an old thread, and as I read over the last few posts, trying to orient myself, I realize I want to add something about the Sex Pistols: they had very conscientious production for the time, and I'm sure Steve Jones would have noticed the difference between quality tube changes. I know that if I were to play that style (which is less of a stretch than me playing Jazz - no judgement against Jazz, though), I'd want my NOS tube collection still.

- thom

I know this has been a long running post and there are a lot of opinions on the subject,and most of this is all subjective,so nobody is wrong,but I thought I'd chime in anyway.I am with Timber Wolf on this subject.I have yet to find a current production tube that can match NOS,wheather it is in my Boogies or any of the Blackface Fenders,old Ampegs or clones that I have.I dont use my Boogies in the hyperdrive mode they are capable of so maybe if you do,then you may not notice the benefits of the tone a NOS gives as much as in a cleaner circuit.I use NOS 5751's in V1,3 & 4 to lower the gain in my IIC+.As far as modding a circuit to "fit" a 12AT7,again I am with TW on this front also,maybe in a HI-FI or some other perfect set up it may be needed but guitar amps are different,the designers dont always follow the rules,just look at the grid resistance for a fixed bias 6L6,manual says max grid resistance is .1 megohm,but most amps have a 220k as well as a 1.5k to 4.7k in the grid circuit,way over the design max of 100k.AT7's make a great PI tube with the circuit designed for the AX7 because the output impedence of the AT7 is easier on the grids of the power tubes,if you can live with the slight decrease in gain here,some of my amps I like it some not so much.Thats my 2 cents,I'm with TW- NOS tubes rule and **** the rules,if it sounds good and dont burn nothin',go for it.

Latest posts

Back