Short plate vs long plate. Common cathode vs common anode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah,I love that 5751,got 'em in all my amps in V1,except for a 12AY7 in two of my Tweed Deluxe clones.I got a dozen good spares,I never pass one up,get a lot at hamfests real cheap,those radio guys practically give tubes away.Last one I went to I got a quad of NOS RCA 6L6GC's for $25,guy said that was what he paid back in the '60's and since they were never used he had to get what he paid,looked like the boxes were never even opened,tested as strong as I've ever seen,I sure hope those guys never catch on to what they have.

No,the guy at the table next to him did,I got the 5 of them for $35,he wanted 10 each,talked him down to 7 bucks apiece for the whole sleeve.If you never been to one of these hamfests you gotta check one out.These radio guys that came from the tube era,all think solid state is the way to go,and for them I guess it is.When they go to these hamfests they are so happy to unload their tubes its incredible.I've scored a lot of great tubes for next to nothing.Check this link,just enter your state and it'll tell you if any in your area are going on. www.arrl.org/hamfests.html Right now I have 2 large tube caddy's full of NOS tubes most of 'em I got for next to nothing.I gotta start trveling a little farther tho,Ive hit every one in the tri-state area here and I'm starting to see the same guys all the time,pretty much cleaned them all out.

No sweat,I see there is one coming your way in January.If you do go,I'll give you a tip,look under the tables, these guys think tubes aint the hot sellers so they dont always put them on the table.

ok timbre, did you listen to kurt rosenwinkel? that kind of sound i would like to have in my rectoverb.
Today i got something similar, but in a few months i have to change the tubes..so i want to improve their quality and get the sound more jazzy.

thank you very very much guys. :wink:

stokes said:
No sweat,I see there is one coming your way in January.If you do go,I'll give you a tip,look under the tables, these guys think tubes aint the hot sellers so they dont always put them on the table.

As long as it dosn't interfere with my NAMM plans, I'm there!

edit: It's the weekend after NAMM...I'm there.

Aldo said:
http://www.myspace.com/kurtrosenwinkel
:wink:
Nice sound. Definitely got the neck humbucker thing going on, which is a different realm than the one where I usually dwell (single coil land). Its not an entirely clean tone - there's some dynamic breakup there, and not as clear as I am used to (probably the humbucker more than the amp).

The first 12AX7 type that comes to mind for that type sound is the '50s RCA black-plate - its got that kind of fat tone, with clear but rounded-off highs. Be sure to have that tube screened for microphonics, if you try it, because long-plate 12AX7 are more prone to microphonics than short-plate.

Another, less expensive option (if you can find them at all) is a rare '50s (1956, to be precise) Sylvania short black-plate 12AX7 (not the long black-plate, which is fine, but much more clean and bright). This one has short black plates, and is therefore less susceptible to microphonics (thus getting us back on-topic :) ). This tube has great thick tone, with exceptional clarity. Matter of fact, I have actually replaced my Raytheon black-plate 12AX7A with this tube - if you know how much I've raved about the Raytheon, you'll know that this is a significant endorsement of the Sylvania.

The reason I mention black-plate 12AX7 first and foremost is that they generally have superior dynamic responsiveness - something that Kurt is clearly taking advantage of in his clips. The two I mentioned have what I've referred to as an early-breakup characteristic, but this does not mean that they're just more distorted. What it truly means, to me, is that there is an increased transitional zone from clean to overdriven, and this broadens your expressive palette, depending on your touch.

If I were to try to emulate Kurt's tone with my setup, I might end up using RFT ECC83, which also has early-breakup, but can become somewhat murky. But with single-coil pickups, that RFT compression/murk is similar to what I hear from humbuckers (relative to single coils), so... it'd be my approximation. I wouldn't recommend RFT for you if you're already playing with humbuckers.

I don't know what pickups you're using, Aldo, or what tubes are currently in your rectoverb, but if there's a tonal direction you want to move in, or if you want more/less clarity, compression, etc. just tell me, and I'll try to suggest a few other tubes from that info.

- Thom

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: god! thank you very much for your post,!!

Im playing with differents guitar, but for jazz i use a prs custom made by a spanish luthier, with prs dragon II on neck, and i get a really warm and jazzy tone. I hope to get a semihollow in march.

The tubes of my rectoverb are the original, and because of that, im looking for my perfect tubes for this amp. And timbre, really, thanks, i apreciate it a lot. I cant help you in tubes, but ...in harmony? hahaha :oops:

Aldo said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: god! thank you very much for your post,!!

Im playing with differents guitar, but for jazz i use a prs custom made by a spanish luthier, with prs dragon II on neck, and i get a really warm and jazzy tone. I hope to get a semihollow in march.

The tubes of my rectoverb are the original, and because of that, im looking for my perfect tubes for this amp. And timbre, really, thanks, i apreciate it a lot. I cant help you in tubes, but ...in harmony? hahaha :oops:

De nada! Please report back about changes you make - I'd like to know how they work for you.

- T

Latest posts

Back