Short Bottle 6L6 + Dual Recto = Amazing Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluff191

Reaction score
I had a set of power tubes go microphonic (Winged C 6L6) and returned them. The vendor was out of the Winged C's so instead I got some TAD 6L6WGC-STR (short bottle, GE style) as opposed to the 6L6GC (tall bottle, RCA style), which I actually did not care for due to it's 'boomy' low end. The guy told me 'they will work, but probably won't sound too great in a high gain amp like yours' and boy was he wrong.

The short bottle is a hell of a tube, folks. No boomy lows, but warm and round with amazing string clarity (compared to the Wigned C). For some reason, the Winged C also had less gain, which I found kind of strange. And that goes for all 3 set's of Winged C 6L6's I have.

Anyways, if anyone is in the market for some 6L6's, the TAD short bottles are awesome. Give them a try. 8)

Good to know about this 6l6 version.

For me I tend to really like EL34's in my Recto. I just got a sextet of SED EL34's matched and graded. I popped them in today and sounded great! Love the extra mids it gives to cut through the mix.

Oh man the Wigned C EL34 is probably one of my favorite tubes of all time. So great sounding.

I have a set of the Winged C EL34s and a set of JJ E34Ls. Honestly, I generally prefer the JJs. They just seem to fit the Recto's sound very well.

I love the 6L6WGC-STR TAD tube. That's all I use here unless someone requests something else. I really like the SED/Winged C too. I've been using them for 3 or 4 years now and love them.
Jerry

fluff191 said:
Oh man the Wigned C EL34 is probably one of my favorite tubes of all time. So great sounding.

now if you haven't done this already. Check out some NOS preamp tubes brands like: Mullard, Sylvania GE or Sylvania JAN, JAN Phlips, RFT, Siemens, Telefunken, Amperex, Brimar, RCA. They can be a bit pricey but certainly are worth it because they last a lot longer than current production tubes. I would suggest even getting just one if you have too.

FJA Mods said:
I love the 6L6WGC-STR TAD tube. That's all I use here unless someone requests something else. I really like the SED/Winged C too. I've been using them for 3 or 4 years now and love them.
Jerry

I haven't found many tubes that sound or last as long as the Winged C. Do you know any info about hte 6l6wgc-str tube?

I have intentionally avoided the NOS thing only because if one did fail and it was the proverbial lynch pin of my tone, I would be toast. Until I found another one. So i only tend to buy the best quality new production tubes.

cradlefish said:
I haven't found many tubes that sound or last as long as the Winged C. Do you know any info about hte 6l6wgc-str tube?

And as far as I know, the GE-style 6L6 was originally used in the old Fender combo amps for big warm clean guitar tones.
Everyone goes after the RCA Blackplate-style 6L6's but man I am not so sure about those anymore.

fluff191 said:
I have intentionally avoided the NOS thing only because if one did fail and it was the proverbial lynch pin of my tone, I would be toast. Until I found another one. So i only tend to buy the best quality new production tubes.

cradlefish said:

And as far as I know, the GE-style 6L6 was originally used in the old Fender combo amps for big warm clean guitar tones.
Everyone goes after the RCA Blackplate-style 6L6's but man I am not so sure about those anymore.

Don't let that bother you. If you get them on ebay from somebody reputable. You'll have a good long lasting tube, enjoy some of the little things in life that would make you and your ears happier. That's where I get all my tubes. I don't bother with Eurotubes or Dougs tubes. They are solid dealers but you'll find better deals on ebay if you do a little homework.

Yes, the short-bottle GE 6L6s are great, I have a set of them in my Tremoverb :).

No offense intended, but if you've been avoiding NOS tubes because you're worried about having one blow and losing your tone, this is totally backwards logic. You actually *want* to keep your tone less good than it could be on the off-chance that a tube might fail and you would lose it? (Which in fact isn't going to happen anyway, using one single modern tube as a stop-gap won't ruin your tone totally, although you may hear the difference - and you can always put it in a less-critical position like the FX loop tube.) Life's too short to not just have better tone and worry about what happens if one blows later - which it probably won't, and it's not as if you can't keep a spare or two anyway. Again, no offense intended!

I also don't agree about buying just one NOS and keeping the rest new-production - you need to use all-NOS to get the most benefit, if you use only one you may not be able to tell where your money went... or at least, not hear as much difference as you should.

Also, if you're trying to economize you don't need to use 'N' OS - tested used tubes are fine too, most have thousands of hours left and will often outlast new tubes as well as outperforming them.

94Tremoverb said:
Life's too short to not just have better tone and worry about what happens if one blows later - which it probably won't, and it's not as if you can't keep a spare or two anyway. Again, no offense intended!

You make an interesting point. :wink:

ill have to give them a shot next time. i agree about the tall bottle tad being boomy. wasnt a fan. but ive never tried the little guys before

94Tremoverb said:
Yes, the short-bottle GE 6L6s are great, I have a set of them in my Tremoverb :).

No offense intended, but if you've been avoiding NOS tubes because you're worried about having one blow and losing your tone, this is totally backwards logic. You actually *want* to keep your tone less good than it could be on the off-chance that a tube might fail and you would lose it? (Which in fact isn't going to happen anyway, using one single modern tube as a stop-gap won't ruin your tone totally, although you may hear the difference - and you can always put it in a less-critical position like the FX loop tube.) Life's too short to not just have better tone and worry about what happens if one blows later - which it probably won't, and it's not as if you can't keep a spare or two anyway. Again, no offense intended!

I also don't agree about buying just one NOS and keeping the rest new-production - you need to use all-NOS to get the most benefit, if you use only one you may not be able to tell where your money went... or at least, not hear as much difference as you should.

Also, if you're trying to economize you don't need to use 'N' OS - tested used tubes are fine too, most have thousands of hours left and will often outlast new tubes as well as outperforming them.

I'm with you on getting all NOS or UOS. The suggested one because not many people are going to buy 5 x Mullards, RCA, Siemens and etc all at once because of the cost of those tubes. Usually one is a good start to give you an idea how good your amp can sound and if you like what you hear and feel the need to spend more. Then that would be the time.

Definitely treat yourself and your amp to something good if spend a lot of time and care with it.

Hey guys, I have to ask cause all this talk has got me interested.

When you change out these tubes, do you have to change your settings much depending on the tubes you run?

Reason I ask, is I have no experience with changing tubes or any of that.

Am I missing out on something? Is my DR sounding only partly as good as it could sound??

volatileNoise said:
Hey guys, I have to ask cause all this talk has got me interested.

When you change out these tubes, do you have to change your settings much depending on the tubes you run?

Yes! Darker sounding tubes may make you want to dial in a little more highs or mids, etc. etc.

volatileNoise said:
Is my DR sounding only partly as good as it could sound??

Possibly. If you are running the stock tubes, I would say no. Experimenting is half the fun of owning something as awesome as a Mesa amp!

I just fried my SEDs due to me troubleshooting my **** amp without the speaker connected...**** Im such a tube noob...

Anyways, I need to order new 6l6 and I have a set of tad gc's and didnt like them. They feel lifeless. You're saying the WGCs are better than the SEDs?

The rate im going through them Im wondering if I just just stick to sovteks...

I think the TAD GC's sound awful. Just my opinion. And my old stand by go-to tube is the Sovtek WXT+. Give the WGC's a shot. You will dig em if you like the Sovteks.

fluff191 said:
volatileNoise said:
Is my DR sounding only partly as good as it could sound??

Possibly. If you are running the stock tubes, I would say no. Experimenting is half the fun of owning something as awesome as a Mesa amp!

So, no it isn't sounding as good as it possibly could??

I am considering trying these SED Winged C 6L6GC tubes, in your opinion are these an improvement on stock 6L6 Mesa tubes?

Are there more than one type of these, in other words do you have to specify a specific variant of the SED 6L6 tube to suit what you are looking for? I hear people talking of hotter and colder tubes, and all that!?

Yes I am saying the amp is probably not sounding as good as it can be. IMO the newer Mesa tubes are installed for long life, not great tone.

And no there is only one kind of Winged C 6L6. Great tube.

Latest posts

Back