shipping and packing places for an amp head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmouth

Reaction score
anybody have any experience with places that offer packaging and shipping for an amp head ? the head would be dropped off in LA and shipped to switzerland. I see that UPS offers that but they don't indicate any prices for the packaging nor how it influences shipping costs. any suggestions ?

UPS stores are franchises (Mom & Pop stores) and charge what they feel they can get away with. They will only insure your package if they box it.
Go to the Mesa Hollywood store and ask for a spare shipping carton. They get them all the time, don't be embarrassed.
A Mesa Boogie box for a short (18") head measures 33" x 15" x 15".
Any box that barely fits the head will be way too small and provide little protection.
You will notice that Mesa uses 4-5 inches of styrofoam packing for the corners. There will be 3-4 inches of space around the entire head inside the box.
If you use UPS, they will charge the buyer a nice, fat brokerage fee on top of whatever else Switzerland wants. Same with FedEx.
If the buyer refuses to pay, they will charge this fee to YOU.
I know a lot of people distrust the Post Office, but I have used them extensively for overseas shipping without incident. Go Express if possible (It is expensive, but it's also only three days in the system), and pack well enough to withstand a four-foot fall from the back of a truck. Believe it.

Double box it. No peanuts or newspaper.

Sheets of Styrofoam work best to fill the air.

You box it and save on the shipping. Just pack it right.

Forgot to add: don't use that clear plastic tape. Get the brown paper tape with the sticky stuff on the back that you have to wet to use. It's sturdier, and easy to tell if it's been tampered with.
+1 on peanuts. Unless you remorselessly fill every possible empty space in the carton with 'em. So much that it's hard to close the box. Most just pack it half-way (and half-assed) and wonder why a 50 lb. amp head shifts around inside the box. No Duh!

hey guys ... I live in switzerland. the amp is in LA. I can't pack it myself nor run to mesa boogie to get the best boxes. that is the problem.

Send a good road case to LA!! Seriously! Get a good one not the cheap $40 ones on ebay. Then your head can be in a road case that's inside the box the case c ame in. peace of mind is priceless! Padded road case = peace of mind!

Latest posts

Back