SeyDunc's Sh-4 Bridge/Sh-2 Neck's with you duel Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyNoise

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I'm getting ready to put in the Hot Rod set in my ESP/LTD Mh-250N to replace the EMG Hz's. I've never been happy with the Hz's....
Is anyone here play the SD Hot Rodded Humbucker set through their Mesa's?
I changing them out today at work :)
I have a gig tomorrow and so I have basically tonight to dile in a tone with my Rec.

Yes....never was too happy with the JB though.....way too treble, which made the highs of the recto way to harsh....it could be dialed out, but to my ears, it always left something out!

It's not a bad pup....but I really think there are better out there!

As for settings, if you've read the manual and spent some time with the mesa EQ, then you shouldn't have a hard time dialing in a nice tone!

ahhh i was thinking of doing the same EXACT thing! if you do do it, you HAVE to make a post on how it sounds. you should try to make before and after clips if you're able too, that would be AWESOME

JB in mahogany bodied guitars will give you the fatest tone you will ever hear
It's like using bigger gauge strings.

Because of this you will have a very hard time getting a scooped metal tone.

I wish keeped it.

Now that I have Active EMGs , I want that fat lead tone too.

EVERYONE seems to use the JB but soooooo many people say it has way too much treble and is harsh sounding. I really wanna put one in my Schecter and maybe my SG but I might go with the Dimarzio tone zone, they're awesome pickups.

Yep People That Complain About Harshness Are Put Putting The JB In Either Alder Ash Or Basswood Guitars. which are bright enough already.

confused said:
Yep People That Complain About Harshness Are Put Putting The JB In Either Alder Ash Or Basswood Guitars. which are bright enough already.

Cool. So in theory, putting it in my Schecter Tempest Custom (3piece mahogany body/maple top) shouldn't result in a harsh sound?

confused said:

Uh, I use a JB7 in my maple/alder Soloist 7, and it's not harsh - it's got a nice bite, but not too much. I don't like them in mahogany at all - I prefer the Custom for that.

I think the issue with Seymour anymore is quality control - I've played some new JBs that sounded great, and some that don't, even in identical guitars.

I had a Jackson SL-1 with the JB and it was a bit too shrill for my tastes.

I'm using a DiMarzio Megadrive in my Mahogany/Maple Warmoth Soloist with Bird's Eye Maple neck & fretboard. It sounds very good.

In my PRS CU24, I'm using the Duncan Custom 5 in the Bridge & Alnico II humbucker in the neck. It also has McCarty wiring with 3-way switch and Push-Pull pot. It sounds incredible.

I have an old US Schecter body that I'm going to use my Tone Zone in, it's a Mahogany/Maple body as well.

I have a JB (SH-4) and a Custom 5 Alnico (SH-14) That I am not doing anything with @ the moment and would be willing to sell for a good deal(maybe 50 for the pair or 30 EACH??)--Please PM me if interested--thanks! :wink:

I teach guitar......and a some of my students listen to me and some don't...I tell them to go with dimarzio...some do and they are super happy...and everyone else always goes with the sh-4 and sh-2 from duncan..and they are never happy...i use THE TONE ZONE in the bridge...have for years..The only duncan pickup I like is the mini humbucker(SM-1)I think....sounds cool!

So far I love the the Hotrod sh-2/sh-4 set up in my mh-250. they still might not be the best but they are waaaay beter than those EMG Hz's IMOH.
I can hear all the notes of chords very well and the guitar just seems easier to play now.

It all depends on what type of student you are.

I have a Tone Zone that isn't doing anything right now, but my Duncan Alnico II & Custom 5 are in my PRS.

As I get a bit older, and as I work on many Vintage amps, I have come to respect & love more mellow tones. To me, the best of both worlds is to have a great pickup (s), that pick up every nuance, and let the amp do the rest. I might have a bit of an advantage here though, since I am able to mod my amps to do whatever I want.

If it's Seymour's favorite setup, maybe there is something that most people are missing. He is a student of tone, where as, most people seem to be a student of what is happening at the moment.

Carlos, Beck, Iommi, just to name a few, prefer to let the guitar do the talking and not muddy up everything with tons of notes. On the other hand, some of my other favorites, Freedman & Satriani just want to beat the listeners severely about the head & neck with their technique.

The whole point here is, that you are trying to express yourself. I don't care how good you are, if you make everyone sound like you, you are cloning.

I do know a lot of people at the Duncan forum that use 250K pots to help smooth the top end of the JB...

Ok well, I love my s2-and s4's in the esp I put them in..and I just bought a awsome Epiphone Les paul Classic with the same set in it with american grover tuners and the 4 pot's are all ctx's. Ok..now I have to quit buying guitar's!!
I can't wait to get in a jam with it on my DR!!!
Mesa fucking rules!

Latest posts

Back