Several IIb questions.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawoodsman

Reaction score
New to the board, looks like a good one! Learning a few things in a hurry from reading threads.

Still I have a few questions for folks.

I recently determined that my amp--purchased used back in the 80's--is in fact a IIb. It does not have reverb, EQ, or simulclass--and has just two 6L6's...so I was thrown for a loop for a while. Apparently they were configured that way.

I can't find any power output designation on it--but assume it is 60 watts. Would that be correct? It has the 12" black shadow speaker and three speaker jacks if that makes a difference, one 8 and two 4's.

I also never did get the footswitch that I assume came with it when new, and would like to add one now. It looks to me like they still make these new--but there are lots of options! Is the CS3 switch the one to buy for this model, which again has no reverb/eq/simulclass?

Hi,
Welcome aboard.
Yes, you have a 60w. Which is a marvellous amp, and they did come put that way, amongst other variations!
As you state MB still sell the channel switch that would have come with it from new.
Cheers
Ian

Thanks Ian...I figured it was 60 but it can get so LOUD I wondered...

I need to get the footswitch then....the tone plugged straight in--which I assume is going to get you the rhythm channel--is nice and clear at low volumes and gets warm as you turn it up just a bit, real sweet! Sold off some guitars over the years but knew enough to hang onto this amp, don't regret it!

Sweet amp,

this is the footswitch you want:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Lead-Rhythm-switch-pedal-/110705706966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c69307d6#ht_500wt_1156

BUT don't buy this one. you can find them for $25 to $35 on ebay, or $70 brand new from mesa.

pics?

scott

Hi,

Search for Payne Labs (www.paynelabs.com) : they sell replacement FSW for old Boogies - cheap and very correct. I bought the set for my MKIIA. You can find Payne Labs on eBay too.

A+!

i bought my 2b head in '81

60 watts, with graphic eq, but no reverb.

2 6L6's, this is 60 watts

of course, the pull switch on the Lead drive will switch the channels manually....
but it's nice to have the switch.

for recording purposes, don'[t miss the sweet tones you can get setting on the clean channel and driving the ever lovin' peese, out of the master and Vol 1, with the treble and mids dimes, treble pulled, and no bass.

Payne was out of stock, but have one coming from Switch Doctor...a few more bucks but still not bad. Thanks for the input.

I checked the speaker and it has the MS-12. Real warm....like it a lot. I used to run a lawsuit strat clone with a phase switch that made it real bright through it--had to roll off mids and bass to get anything close to a Rick through a clean amp, so not the best choice for bright stuff I think...but that's fine by me.

Next the decision on whether to send it in for the "fix".

Amazing amp. I got rid of it because I couldn't stand not having a useable clean and lead tone. I know that the amp is "technically" two channels, but you can't get a great lead tone out of that amp without CRANKING the clean channel's volume. Absolutely ridiculous. Great amp - retarded design.

i use my 2b for recording.

IF i happen to need it live, i set the clean for as clean as i want, set the lead channel for a good crunchy rhythm, and use a drive and boost pedal for solos.

works perfect.

Yeah, gonzo, your recorded tone with a IIB is AMAZING. I remember you posted some clips a while back..... sounded fantastic! I still don't understand why the hell they designed the IIB like that. Why couldn't they have just given the lead channel a GAIN knob instead of making it share the clean channel's volume???? It's such an obvious thing! That's my ONLY problem with the IIB. Well, that and the awful "pop" sound when changing channels. But, every amp has its quirks.

edit..

Plus, I noticed that you have a IIB head. I had a IIB combo. To me, personally, the Mark series amps ALL sound better in head form. Not sure if it's the speaker or the way the head is built compared to the combo.... or something else, but.... everytime I hear a head version of an amp, it sounds better than the combo version. The most profound example of this is the Mark V. The combo sounds like crap, in my opinion. The head, on the other hand, is genius.

nibbles
thanks for the kind words on the recordings....

and i think, the way the designed evolved from hot rodded fenders, it makes perfect sense to simply STACK the gains and use the same tone section--
it eventually evolved to the type of amp you describe, but none of them sound like a IIb, IMHO

you know, i've played thru IIb combos too..

it has it's own thing going on.
first off, it's open back.
so you get an entirely different vibe, because of the way the speaker doesn't have any pressure in the cabinet to work against;
because the sound becomes more "3-D" coming off the back AND front'
the high wattage of the single speaker changes the entire dynamic of how the amp operates (remember, it was DESIGNED as a combo first!);
and the most important aspect---- the tubes are sitting RIGHT ON TOP of the speaker!

this is key....

the vibrations of the speaker and cab, WILL have an affect on the sound/tone/sustain/feedback

in fact, when i record, i typically will put my head down on the ground right in front of the speaker, back tube-side facing the speaker-
when i'm recording at volume, that is.
i can hear the difference...
it makes the amp seem--more on the edge, which i like.

that all said, i still prefer the SOUND of a closed back cab.
i went from a marshall 4x12, to a 2x12 cab, to finally 3 individual closed back 1x12's.
I LIKE THE SOUND.... of a 4x12 cab, i like the thump..

but for portage and live work, it's insane to drag around a 4x12, and be told you're 'too loud' all night!
LOL

for close micing, the microphone only hears the one speaker anyway.
unless you're using room mics (don't do that, unless you have a GREAT sounding room!), it hardly matters.

i also often times sit the speaker cab on a couch or table, up off the floor, with the head sitting in front of it, just to decouple it from the room even more.

Latest posts

Back