Setting on Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

negator86

Reaction score
Good day to all the Seniors :)

I need some guidence regarding setting on my Mark IV head current version.
I tried to follow the factory setting but it is still not there yet. + they dont show the combination of the switches at the back panel :)

1. I am looking for the closest Recto Modern High Gain sound with those powerful punch.
2. Also I am curious to find which setting produce the highest possible in punch and hi gain with Mark IV.

Thx hips guys,
Andrew

Just remember that a Mark IV has different voicing than a Recto but this is the settings I use.

MIVsettings.jpg

phyrexia said:
stop trying to cop tones. listen to what each knob does to the amp. close your eyes. use your ears.

I agree but it's still fun to see what other people use. The MKIV has so many permutations.

IMO it is easier to get that punch High gain modern on the rectos compared to the Mark IV.

For you guys that have both Rectos and Mark IV. Do you take longer time to dial in those Petrucci sound in Mark IV rather then the Rectifier?

Thx :)

The Rectos has such a nasty low end, loose and muddy it's not even fun. Thats why I don't own one.

To nail Petrucci's sound 100% you'll need his exact rig which no one can afford, if you can afford it you probably won't have the skills to play Dream Theater and Petrucci songs. Unless you have extremely rich and generous parents or win on the lottery :lol:

You can get great punch out of the MKIV. In fact I think thats the easiest thing to get out of it.

ZenabI,

So you are saying that Mark IV has a tighter and punchier low end then Recto.

when I tried them both The recto really beat Mark IV expecially regarding the low end part although my expectation goes more to Mark IV at the first place :)

Now, the recto has more bass and the bass extends lower, as in, there are more lower frequencies in a recto, but the mark is tighter and more responsive and that's what i think he means by "punchy".

phyrexia said:
Now, the recto has more bass and the bass extends lower, as in, there are more lower frequencies in a recto, but the mark is tighter and more responsive and that's what i think he means by "punchy".

Yes thats what I mean.

I also don't think you need much bass to be "punchy". I don't get why so many people want so much bass, you don't need it to sound heavy :D

Perhaps.. what those people want is to get that Rectifier Roar as you need lots and lots of bottom end to filled up the room? Or am I wrong..

Anyway problem solve for me,went to try another Mark IV,same old dissapointment.....until I turn up the volume!!!!! Finally understand what you guys been trying to explain to me and since that I am totally sold and put my confidence to this amp..

I really like that equalizes, I believe we can create any tone we want,what do you guys think?

negator86 said:
Perhaps.. what those people want is to get that Rectifier Roar as you need lots and lots of bottom end to filled up the room? Or am I wrong..

Anyway problem solve for me,went to try another Mark IV,same old dissapointment.....until I turn up the volume!!!!! Finally understand what you guys been trying to explain to me and since that I am totally sold and put my confidence to this amp..

I really like that equalizes, I believe we can create any tone we want,what do you guys think?

Yes with a pair of EL34 tubes in it you can get pretty much any type of tone you want if you have the skills. Thats one of the reasons I think the amp is so amazing. It really does all type of tones I've ever wanted and it does it really good also.

It seems to me all the boogies have a kind of weird tubby low end sound at low volumes regardless of bass settings, but at high volumes, punchy responsive goodness starts happening. These amps are not that cool for a bedroom player. But for someone who wants the goods delivered...it works.

As the other post said don't look at knobs and just turn, listen first, and at loud volumes so you do not just chase your tail.

Back