Serious Lonestar problem. Help Please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attikawarren

Reaction score
Hi fellas.

Avid reader but not much of a poster on these forums at the mo but I really need some help diagnosing a problem if possible.

My brother and I both have mesa boogie lonestar amps (his is the 2 x12 combo & I have the head version) These are the first series that came out with the 50/100W selector switches (not the special or the newer 100/50/10W version)

He turned the amp on at rehearsal last night and everything was fine for a short time, then all of a sudden channel 1 cut out completely. After, a quick Off/On again, we found that nearly all of the controls on Channel 1 had stopped repsonding (apart from Master Volume/Presence), and although channel 1 was manually engaged on the toggle switch on the front of the amp, all of channel 2's gain/Eq/Master volume where active and useable against channel 1!!

Inpection around the back gave light to both power tubes 1 & 3 had blown.

The effects loop was engaged with the send signal at max (although nothing was going through the loop) and silicone diode tracking was also engaged.

The amp is running stock mesa power tubes and mesa 6L6 pre- amp tubes. (Bias switch appropriately set)

As far as the set up goes (if it matters) was a delay pedal, dr cleaness boost, and korg tuner direct into the front of the amp.

If anyone can help diagnose the problem (and if it is possible to get it fixed) we would be most appreciative. Mesa in the UK (Glasgow) had not seemed to have have heard of this before.

Thanks again.

What you describe is a serious problem that should be looked at by a qualified technician. The problem could be failed power supply components, open relays or worse. Call Mesa in the USA and ask them what your next step should be.

Thanks for your reply BobL

After having a brief look at the schematics available online it could well be an open relay. It certainly needs looking at.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing on Mesa products/ Amplifiers in general?

Yes. Mesa was real cool when my Lonestar had a freak out. I had a bad tube that fried a grid resistor and a couple of diodes. All I had to pay was shipping. Give them a call and good luck.

Latest posts

Back