• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Selling high ticket items online...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD Boogie

Reaction score
Whats the best way to go about selling a high ticket item like to someone online to not only protect myself but also to provide the buyer with confidence? I have a guy who wants me to list it on eBay, take his payment via PayPal and then cancel the auction so that I don't have to pay the eBay fees...wouldn't having him just pay me via PayPal be enough? He has an honest concern about me just taking his money and not sending him anything.

As long as I insure it and provide him a tracking number isn't that all that I need to do in order to protect myself from getting burned?

Frankly, it sounds like he's scamming you. I have over a 1000 transactions on eBay, and my advice is if he won't do it legit, walk away.
He's got eBay protection, Paypal protection, a tracking number.
He has way more protection going through eBay and Paypal than the plan he is proposing.
In short, it stinks.
By the way, sending money through Paypal as a "gift" has ZERO protection.
Of course, you're leaving out a bunch of info.
Why is he so "concerned"?
What's your feedback score. What's his?
Does he have a confirmed Paypal shipping address?

I have decided that I will probably just list the amp on eBay and let the auction end normally and sell it to the highest bidder. With what this guy suggests all he would have to do is file a "Not as described" with eBay once he receives the amp which means that he would probably be allowed to keep the amp (by eBays policy) and I would end up with no $$ and no amp. I am not sure of the process on this but I would think that eBay would make him send the amp back to me in the condition that he received it in.

The guy that I am referring too is a member here...I dont think that he is trying to scam me but doing what he suggests is something that I've never heard before...I would like to avoid the eBay fees if possible and just take the payment via PayPal instead....the PayPal fee is going to be more than I want to pay already.

He can file anything he wants, but eBay is going to make him communicate with you before they lift a finger. Believe me, eBay is not going to automatically do anything to refund him any money unless their "procedures" are followed. Been there, done that.

He would need to return the amp in the same condition for any refunds to even begin to happen.

Forgive me for butting in with my two cents, but it sounds like you want it both ways. Neither of you trusts the other enough to just send the money, ship the product. But neither one of you wants to pay for the piece of mind the fees cover. Pick your poison. :D

I think the best option is to just send him a PayPal invoice and let it go from there....that would be enough protection for both of us. I think I will just list it on eBay and see what happens...I think it will sell for more than I am looking to get for it that way.

Thanks guys

You have 15 posts on this forum selling a high dollar item then get paranoid that someone wants to protect there interest.
PAYPAL DOES NOT COVER THE BUYER IF YOU CHOOSE TO DEFAULT ON THE SALE!!!!!!!

Dave...the protection that you get through eBay is exactly the same as what you get through PayPal. All I need to do is be sure to insure the item and provide a tracking number. eBay doesn't offer you any more than what you get through PayPal. There is no need to get eBay involved unless I decide to list the item as an auction which is what I plan to do.

SD Boogie said:
Dave...the protection that you get through eBay is exactly the same as what you get through PayPal. All I need to do is be sure to insure the item and provide a tracking number. eBay doesn't offer you any more than what you get through PayPal. There is no need to get eBay involved unless I decide to list the item as an auction which is what I plan to do.

That is not a true statement, buyer protection is offered as an eBay service, not a PayPal service. I called and verified this with both eBay and PP.
They informed me that if someone sends money through paypal direct there is no recourse other than contacting the authorities, nothing has been implemented
through paypal to offer the same buyer protection eBay does.

do you still get buyer protection for an auction that was canceled after you paid for the item? I would think that eBay would see this and assume that the transaction never took place.

if you would not receive an item that you paid for with PayPal all you would have to do is open a dispute on the transaction...if I cant provide a tracking number and proof of the items delivery then you would get your money back...it is handled the same way through PayPal.

At that point it wouldn't matter, the point of going through ebay is you list the item, it sells, you provide the tracking number.
Once the amp is received and all is good you that's it. The transaction is complete.

You get the same protection with PayPal and there is no need for either of us to pay the eBay fees. In any case I will be listing the amp and cabinet on eBay within the week.

Ok, I tried to explain but your stuck on the payapl protection theory, if you think that's the way it works then good for you.
Happy ebaying,

do you still get buyer protection for an auction that was canceled after you paid for the item?

That's a good question. If you buy an item and pay it via PayPal through Ebay. You get buyer protection. If you send an invoice via PayPal (without Ebay) and pay the goods you don't have any protection! That's how it works in Germany and should also work in the US.

That's what i found on the PayPal Site:
What does eBay Buyer Protection cover?
eBay Buyer Protection covers items purchased on eBay with eligible payment methods that are not received or not as described in the listing. Some purchases aren't covered, including items listed or that should be listed in the Motors (except for Parts and Accessories) and Real Estate categories, and most prohibited or restricted items. Most Business and Industrial categories are covered by eBay Buyer Protection. Remember, eBay Buyer Protection doesn't cover fraudulent charges or most cases of buyer remorse. Also, items must be purchased on the U.S. eBay.com website to qualify for eBay Buyer Protection coverage, and are covered for 45 days from the date of payment. Purchases made on Half.com and classified listings on eBayclassifieds.com or eBay.com, or items purchased on the eBay Digital Music Center aren't covered. Generally, you must pay for the item in one lump sum to be covered.

SD, i would just put it on Ebay. Seeing the last auctions for IIC+ you should get your $2000. A IIC+ SRG just went for $2950. You save yourself a lot of time.
Don't want to blow Dave's Deals! But sometimes it's just easier and faster than posting 3 weeks in this forum about selling / how selling and what protection. Take 5 minutes/ put it on Ebay with BIN or auction/ wait until auction ends/ get payment/ pack & send. Ready.

Or put a BIN $2000+Ebay fees+PayPal fees= about $2100 and give it a try.
That's what i would do. But you just make yourself crazy with the sale :wink:

Rob is correct, that's what I was trying to convey, I would have purchased the amp for 2000 but not without protection.
As stated, a C+ SRG sold for 2950. That's was more than I ever thought it would go for so the market is there. Not many C+'s show up
and when they do people jump on them.

SD, your IIC+ if i remember right is a DR Head which means Simul with Reverb. The SRG sold on Ebay was a Combo with Sixty Watt, Reverb and Graphic EQ. Simul Class IIC+ are desirable. DRG (Simul, Reverb, Graphic) Amps sold in the past for up to $3500. As Dave already said the $2950 for the SRG IIC+ was really a great deal for the seller! Maybe it was just luck, but maybe there's really the market for the C+ right now. So it will be hard to tell what you get for your IIC+. It's all about good pics, condition, description.

If you just send money through Paypal as a "gift", not "goods and services", of course there's no protection. This should be obvious.
If you try to scam eBay by some bogosity as trying to cancel an auction after its conclusion (whatvever that idiocy means), of course they're going to balk at protecting anyone.

By the way, eBay owns Paypal.

Paypal sez:
Receiving Money:

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

4.2 Use of PayPal on eBay. Sellers who offer PayPal as a payment method in their eBay listings must follow these requirements:

Accept PayPal if the eBay listing includes PayPal as a payment method.

Accept all PayPal Payment Methods from a buyer, including but not limited to eCheck and credit cards.

Have a Premier or Business account or be willing to upgrade to a Premier or Business account upon receipt of a payment.

Accept international PayPal transactions if the eBay listing offers shipping outside the US.

Sellers may not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal as a payment method.

SELLER PROTECTION

To be eligible for Seller protection, you must meet all of the basic requirements listed below; plus, you must meet the Item Not Received requirements listed below to be covered for Item Not Received protection and you must meet the Unauthorized Transactions requirements listed below to be covered for Unauthorized Transaction protection.

Basic Requirements:
You must ship the item to the shipping address on the Transaction Details Page.
You must respond to PayPal’s requests for documentation and other information in a timely manner.
The item must be a physical, tangible good that can be shipped.
Your primary residence, as listed in your Account, must be in the United States.
Item Not Received Additional Requirements:
The payment must be marked “eligible” or “partially eligible” for Seller protection on the Transaction Details Page.

You must have a Proof of Delivery as described below.

You must ship the item within 7 days of receipt of payment. Or, if the payment is for pre-ordered or made-to-order goods, shipment is required within the timeframe specified in your item listing.

BUYER PROTECTION

13.1 PayPal’s Protection Programs for Buyers.
PayPal has two programs to help protect you:

PayPal Buyer Protection (for eligible items purchased on eBay)

PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy (for all other items purchased on or off eBay)

13.2 Types of problems covered. PayPal’s Protection Programs for Buyers help you if you encounter either of these problems:

Item Not Received (INR)

Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) (see definition below)

If your problem is a transaction that you did not authorize, please report the unauthorized transaction through the PayPal Security Center.

13.3 PayPal Buyer Protection.

Eligibility Requirements. To be eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:

Use PayPal to purchase an eligible item on eBay.
Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.
Send the payment to the Seller through:
The eBay "Pay Now" button, or
the eBay invoice,
Open a Dispute within 45 days of the date you sent the payment – then follow the online dispute resolution process described below under Dispute Resolution.

Keep your Account in good standing.

There's tons more info on the Paypal website.
Learn to read something other than Guitar World. :lol:

SD Boogie said:
what is the difference between my C+ and the SRG that sold for $2950?
If i remember correctly, the difference is that yours was running EL34s in inner sockets and 6L6 in outer sockets, so it probably needs service. Hopefully you are honest and will mention that in your ebay listing.

Once again adonix...as I've stated several times, Mike at Mesa stated, that there is very little chance that any damage was caused by doing this...all he said was that the EL34's in the middle sockets weren't getting the power that they needed in order to perform as an EL34 should. Yes, the recommended configuration is to put the EL34's in the outer sockets so that they can perform their best. The only damage that could have been caused by having the EL34's in the middle sockets was just 1 screen grid resistor...it was like a $.30 part. When I talked to Mike he said that he would go through the entire amp, clean it, replace the caps that have been known to go bad and fix other things that are known with these amps. He named all of the caps that he would replace and said that he would also replace all of the power tubes and possibly a pre-amp tube which usually isnt necessary. The amp hasn't been serviced in the 15 years that I've owned it so it needs to be serviced...that will be included in the auction. I have only plugged into this amp 3x in the last 5 years. I plugged in last night and everything is just like it was when I originally bought the amp. When the buyer receives the amp they can plug in and decide what they want to do with it. They may be happy with its tone as it is...it still sounds great.

The amp hasn't been serviced in the 15 years that I've owned it so it needs to be serviced...

That's also what i would do with any C+, which wasn't serviced in the last years. I think it SD's cup of tea what he puts in his listing. Everything was said in the last topic. So you're a bit late with your statement Adonixx. If you have $2000+ for this Amp, you will have the extra $ for sending the amp to Mesa.
Just my point of view :wink:

Latest posts

Back