Schecter guitars................just how good are they?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schecters are a good value. I own a Blackjack Tempest Custom and a Stealth. Both are discontinued, both have Semour Duncan pickups (not designed) and both play great in their own ways.

I know you can buy better guitars, but for the money. Schecter is for me.
I can beat on my Tempest and put the headstock into a wall. Still rocks!

Schecter guitars are a good value for the money. Now if you could have it at a dealer's price they'd be ridiculously cheap. As is the case with all Korean and now Chinese guitars. Crafstmanship is not an issue, whatever you wanna pay for as a client, you will get. I met Michael (director of Schecter Korea) many times back in the 90-ties when he used to work at ESP custom shop on Sunset Blvd in L.A. One of my best buddies played with him in Gene Loves Jezebel. He did a great job for Schecter and it's now a model in the industry. Cut the costs, increase the profit, all that good stuff. Anyway, my point is, and I know of this firsthand, if you want a top quality Korean guitar it will only set you back $250-$275 US. That's what everyone pays for top models which retail for well over a thousand bucks here in US. Dealers of course command most of the profit but I won't elaborate on that here. If you use some analogy, deduction, whatever you wanna call it, Korean guitars in $400 to $700 range cost about $100-$175 to make. Either way, Koreans and now Chinese make a heck of a job mass producing some of these babies. If you really wanted an instrument that kick the living crap out of a $5,000 PRS, they can do that as well. For about $700-$800 US. This is where capitalism comes into play. You just can't have it at production cost, or even dealer cost. My best buddy works for Gary Kramer Guitars (yeah the guy who started up 2 guitar companies back in the 70-ies, that Kramer). He's the man behind each and every one of them. We talk and meet almost daily. All guitars you see on their site are built in Korea, albeit in a new up and coming facility. Craftsmanship is utterly amazing. They blew us away. It's one thing when my buddy, the master luthier, creates a prototype from scratch with his own hands, after countless hours of deliberation and fiddling with the woods and electronics. It's quite a thing when you get a batch of exact same guitars from Korea at their factory prices. Setup and ready to go. They retail here for $1300-$1400 and you have to understand that dealers pocket half of it. True, some of the electronics and wood in general is not up to par with my buddy's hand made American version, but should you desperately wish your guitar to bear Made in USA, you will have to pay $2500-$4000 for equivalent model. I've checked the woods and played most models myself, can't really tell the sound difference. This does not imply that Koreans use lousy tonewoods, quite the contrary. It's just that if you order an instrument from custom shop, either you get to pick the wood or they pick it for you, but their woods are the deli shop of the woods. For custom shop, they get tonewoods from the most reputable tonewood dealers in the States, along with PRS and a bunch of other people. I posted pictures of some of my guitars elsewhere on the site, and if you call those PRS tentops, mine would be , oh say 15. Some of these woods have been drying for 20 years people. Under strictly controlled conditions, but that's an art form in itself.

On another note, I have a Lo-Pro-Edge III tremolo on one of my custom guitars, I think I posted the picture of it here somewhere as well. It was a gift from Steve's (Vai) tech. It's one of his replacement tremolos. Since he abuses them quite a bit, his techie has a stash of tremolos hand-picked by Ibanez. I don't know if and how they might be different from your regular stock LPEIII, it simply rocks. Seven years now. Of course, I ain't no Steve. To be honest, played an 'original' (i.e. Schaller made) Floyd Rose and had a few. What's to say, Germans do not goof around with these things. Made for eternity. Unfortunately, I just don't like the design of it. Irritates the palm of my picking hand too much. Or is it my technique (or lack thereoff).

As for Japanese guitar quality, even my mom knows that some of the best production line Fenders are 80-ies Japanese models. That in itself speaks volumes. However, they started cutting costs in the meantime, like everyone else matter of fact.

Anyhoo, cheers and keep on jamming.

I have a Schecter C1 Classic and I will say this not cause I own it...It stays in tune, very easy to play, Real Duncan pickups sound great, harmonics are phenomenal, and the sustain is the BEST I have ever heard for a guitar under $1000. I played a **** load of shredder guitars before I bought this and this was the best one for me.

I have 7 schecters, and my new one just came. Its the corsair w/ a bigsby. It doesnt stay in tune well, it definitely needs a setup, and the craftsmanship is only subpar.

Its def. the worst schecter I have. It needs a lot of work. I am going to go w. a c-1 classic instead.

theaero said:
I have 7 schecters, and my new one just came. Its the corsair w/ a bigsby. It doesnt stay in tune well, it definitely needs a setup, and the craftsmanship is only subpar.

Its def. the worst schecter I have. It needs a lot of work. I am going to go w. a c-1 classic instead.
Definitely try to put some graphite powder in the nut slots and make sure the bigsby is lubricated with whatever is appropriate. You shouldn't expect a bigsby to stay in tune like a Floyd because, afterall, it is not a Floyd. But keeping the parts the string passes through flowing smooth can help a lot.

RJ2213 said:
i'm with sixveesix on this one. initially guitars like schecter seem good, but they dont hold up over time like the higher quality guitars. a good guitar isnt just one that is easy to play, it needs hardware that will last and not made out of soft metal, it needs solid electronics to keep the signal glitches from driving you crazy. i've worked on a wide variety of guitars that are under $2k and i must say that the difference between a $300 guitar and a $1700 guitar usually isnt easy to spot at first, but once you try to give them a full maintanance check up you will see the difference. the main differences i've noticed are fretwear, durability of switches and jacks, stability of the bridge(especially on FR's), and the usefulness of the trussrod.

what i'm surprised about is the fact that nobody has mentioned much about ESP LTD's since theyre the same company as schecters and mostly made in the same factory.

ive had my esp ec-1000 for about 5-6 years now and other then one of the solders coming loose a few moths ago the guitar has been a true warrior.... ive had othe guitars in between and the only constant has been the esp..... it feels comfortible, sounds good for what i need it for and met my budget at the time..... the only other guitar(s) i desire are a few prs' (custom 24, mccarty, 513) and maybe a ken lawrence-type explorer.... but then your starting to talk about $2000+ on a guitar which even right now is not in my budget.... now i wouldnt go out and buy the low line LTDs but i find their deluxe series as well as some of their other guitars floating around 800-1200 to be great guitars

Vigo1999 said:
yeah, im yet to see Asian made (or "import" as some other says) guitars reaching a high level status, although some Cort and Crafter acoustic guitars are very good.

Just helped the guitar buddy on the band buying a Gib LP mahogany vintage and for 799usd he cant ask for anything better. well made and great hardware.

when it cames to quality on some things ill stay with this:

car = Germans
Musical Instruments = USA
women = Brazilian

:wink: :D

i'm sorry but the the italians own the automotive industry.... and the croatians own the women

jdurso said:
Vigo1999 said:
yeah, im yet to see Asian made (or "import" as some other says) guitars reaching a high level status, although some Cort and Crafter acoustic guitars are very good.

Just helped the guitar buddy on the band buying a Gib LP mahogany vintage and for 799usd he cant ask for anything better. well made and great hardware.

car = Germans
women = Brazilian

i'm sorry but the the italians own the automotive industry.... and the croatians own the women

Italians may make great sports cars but that is about it...and when they go down THEY GO DOWN BIG TIME! Germans do a much better overall job. Don't forget that Germans now own Rolls Royce and Bentley so the Italians dont have any sort of edge or lead in the auto market.

Czech women > Croatian women

Rocky said:
jdurso said:
Vigo1999 said:

car = Germans
women = Brazilian

Italians may make great sports cars but that is about it...and when they go down THEY GO DOWN BIG TIME! Germans do a much better overall job. Don't forget that Germans now own Rolls Royce and Bentley so the Italians dont have any sort of edge or lead in the auto market.

Czech women > Croatian women

ok i might give you the czech women but its a close call.....

by italian cars i was just speaking of their sports cars..... and about a ferrari or lamborgini or maserati going down big time is just a confusing statement.... by big time do you mean expensive to repair? i have three uncles (ok great uncles) that are lisenced repairmen and importers of those 3 companies and have only heard a few horror stories (mostly with maserati).... and of those horror stories most were the fault of the owner.... now the germans put out some great stuff but they have as much reliability issues as any company in their class.... where i feel ferrari tops all companies is their production process (i'm an industrial engineer so thats why that aspect apeals to me)..... they're one of the most innovative companies out there and a lot of their production innovations have filtered down to the germans and the japs (the american companies will never keep up) which has just enhanced those other companies which to me is what innovation is about..... also even with the krauts picking up bentley/RR, the finnish are still second in my book with just having Audii ... germans would round out the top 3

I have a C-1 Elite with EMG 81/85s in them for the past 3 years.. and I LOVE IT!! don't know why I would ever need another guitar (for metal that is).

I want one of them custom shop Schecters!! Made in the USA.

Has anybody played a custom USA Schecter??

Italian cars are always bashed by people who can't afford them. Apart from Fiat, that is. There is no finer craftsmanship than Italian. Let's see what millionaires buy:

i) Italian cars
ii) Italian style villas (preferably in Italy)
iii) Italian shoes
iv) Italian clothing
v) Italian furniture
vi) Italian jewelry
vi) And with all due respect to all, Italian women of course

End of story.

Dersu Uzala said:
Italian cars are always bashed by people who can't afford them. Apart from Fiat, that is. There is no finer craftsmanship than Italian. Let's see what millionaires buy:

i) Italian cars
iii) Italian shoes
iv) Italian clothing
v) Italian furniture
vi) Italian jewelry

End of story.

ummm......ok. And what does that have to to with Schecter guitars dude?

Why don't you refer to previous pages before you pose a silly question? Why? Is it that difficult? Is it? Brain's gonna explode?

Dersu Uzala said:

i) Italian cars
iii) Italian shoes
iv) Italian clothing
v) Italian furniture
vi) Italian jewelry

End of story.

Millionaires also buy Rolls Royce and Bentley's....and vintage automobiles....and Escalades. The wealthy do not just drive sports cars.

Also, in this modern world Millionaires are all over the place. Billionaires are the 'new millionaires.'

Germans match the Italians every step of the way as fat as engineering and craftsmanship goes. You must be Italian....or have never been there to see that they are just people like everywhere else.

Adambomb said:
I want one of them custom shop Schecters!! Made in the USA.

Has anybody played a custom USA Schecter??

I have. It is filed away in my 'what is the big deal' column.

Rocky said:
mikeymike said:
Rocky said:
You say the words mikey but they dont ring true. I think you are a fraud and I am calling you on it.

But anyway guy, good luck and cheers

F off. I told you to stop talking about this in this thread are you brain dead or something? STOP trying to get the last word. Your opinion means nothing to me. If you respond to this via thread I will not see it because I unsubscribed to this thread. Do me a favor and try to control yourself. I'm putting forth the effort in discontinuing this conversation using this thread. Show some maturity and do the same. Thanks.

-Mike.

I am in control in ways you clearly can't comprehend.

Why are you such a cyber-bully man? Where you always the last one picked for a team in school or something? It seems like there is one on every forum.

Suit yourselves. No biggie.

Rocky, what an idiotic assumption. The list was based on experience not on nationality. Rolls & Bentley (which incidentally was a joke for decades even in mother England) are based on carriage designs. While British were still driving around in carriages, French, Germans and Italians were zooming in cars. After all, that's where cars were invented (France to be precise). No European outside Britain will be caught dead in Rolls or Bentley. If they're riding in limousines, it's predominantly Benz. FYI, Ferrari used to make them for decades as well, then they learned better.

Back