Santana Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pureoverdrive

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering how you would go about getting the same tone as santana from tracks like, eg corazon espinado. i know he uses a mk1 but does he use any other pedals? thanks

i copied the rig on the Santana..com site with the Mark 1, PRS and a Tube Screamer and I can pretty much nail it,

FWIW, I've never got a tone approaching his with a Mark II or III. They're harsher and more compressed...not a bad thing, but different.

However, the Love channel on the Heartbreaker does a great Santana tone.

:D Just found this thread while searching for Heartbreaker on the forum.

I used to see Santana every year when I lived in Tucson, then every year when I moved to Maui.

Quite a few times, I saw him with a Heartbreaker on stage.

That's what made me want one. :D

AdmiralB said:
FWIW, I've never got a tone approaching his with a Mark II or III. They're harsher and more compressed...not a bad thing, but different.

However, the Love channel on the Heartbreaker does a great Santana tone.

That's amazing because I could never get a good sustaining Santana-esque tone on the Heartbreaker. I'm beginning to think mine(long gone) was defective.
With my Mark-IIB I can get Santana tone all day. Weird.

Myabe he was just using it for the cleans, and had a Mark for the leads. I never got close enough to see.

I have a Heartbreaker head on the way, I'll see what I can find out and report back in a couple of weeks.

Yeah,

I can't really afford it right now, but I plan on selling a bunch of stuff this month anyway.

The guy threw in an orignal Anvil case for another $50. I don't really need the case, but he was unsure as to how to pack the amp, and I thought it would be worth it.

I used to see Santana every year when I lived in Tucson, then every year when I moved to Maui.
Quite a few times, I saw him with a Heartbreaker on stage.

I'm not surprised.The Love channel has a great MK1 sound.
The Lone Star has a great MK1 tone too.
Good options since the MK1 reissue has been discontinued.
I got my Heartbreaker for that sound and a lot more.

Dumble schmumble. Santana has always had that tone. At Woodstock he was using a (GASP!) solid-state Gallien-Kruger.
Neck pickup, roll back the tone control: classic "woman-tone".

When did he get the Bassman from Randall? I thought that was what he played at Woodstock.

As for the Dumble, I don't like the 1st stuff he did with it. Too nasally. To me it sounds like he borrowed Neil Young's amp for that CD.

I would like to hear some of the newest stuff, now that he's had if for a while.

I've not tried to copy his newer tones, but I have the recipe for "Evil Ways", "Black Magic Woman", and "Oye Como Va". MkI and a crusty old Les Paul. :D :D :D. The chord to feedback at the end of Black Magic Woman requires mucho volume from the amp at those gain levels, but it will send chills up yor spine. :twisted:

Joey is right the choice of pickup is critical... For the old Santana sound the closest I have ever heard was a Les Paul standard into a MK 1

visualrocker69 said:
There's no way to get Santana's tone without a Dumble. Good luck.

:lol:
Are you serious? The Dumble is a fairly new piece of equipment for Santana, after "Supernatural".

Latest posts

Back