Santana Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also to put things in an even more detailed perspective.

Using a Pedal in front of an Amp will get great Tones but arent quite the same as the Power Section of an Amp overdiving.

You can get both to sound great but they arent quite the same Tonaly.

I absolutely love the sound of a set of Power Tubes being pushed past their limits though in this day and age (and at least with the old farts I play with) its not hardly doable unless playing big venues. I get the *** chewings all the time from my fellow band members about volume but I just cant get the same reaction out of my setup with preamp saturation as opposed to power amp saturation. Then there is the whole deal about THD Hotplates but the more you turn it down (though a great device) the more the tone gets affected. Its a classic Catch 22.

"Power Scaling" works much better than most attenuators. I also have two Amped VL series amps that were designed by Lee Jackson that have built in attenuation that works on tube voltage rather than a resistive load that work much better than the attenuators I have owned; Power Brake, Weber MASS and Hot Plate. The Ampeg VL attenuation allows me to crank up any degree or combination or degree of both preamp and power amp drive that I want.

Ceasar Diaz was SRV's amp tech. IIRC, Rene Martinez was SRV's guitar tech.

A long time ago I read somewhere that the studio recording of "Samba Pa Ti" done on a Strat. Is it true?

ramalam said:
"Power Scaling" works much better than most attenuators. I also have two Amped VL series amps that were designed by Lee Jackson that have built in attenuation that works on tube voltage rather than a resistive load that work much better than the attenuators I have owned; Power Brake, Weber MASS and Hot Plate. The Ampeg VL attenuation allows me to crank up any degree or combination or degree of both preamp and power amp drive that I want.

Agreed power scaling works better.

Does not address the physical presence from amp to human ear. You just cant get the same Tone/Sound out of a device as a Cranked Amp. There is more involved than just the tubes and changing the voltage inside a tube does affect whats coming out of said tube as compared to a tube fully cranked and loaded into a speaker that is fully cranked as well then pupming all that into an ear.

Wouldnt Mr Santana have every means at his disposal?

Nomad said:
igfraso said:
I have never seen him playing a Strat. I have just read somewhere that, on Cesar Diaz advice, he was NOW trying to play a Strat throught a Tubescreamer in order to lower his stage volume.

I think the word "Now" would be very old by now. Both SRV and CD have been gone from this world for some time.

You are right Boogieman. I meant to say Rene Martinez. As far as I know, he was still alive last year.
Regards

Yeah I think somewhere along the line I miss read that. Though I knew Jimmy Pages Guitar Tech (before he died) and as far as Guitar Techs go just because he knew how to work on Guitars dosnt read other stuff into it.

SRV had a huge (loud) wall of sound behind him. I believe he used a Tube Screamer set as a Clean Boost (0 Drive) not really mastering a loud sound at a low volume. He did Play a Strat though. :lol:

I stayed in a Holliday Inn Express last night. :lol:

10-4 I saw SR in Atlanta his last Atlanta Gig. What a great show.

Im an old Jeff Beck fan but Stevie Ray smoked JB.

That being said Terry Bozzio's Drum Solo brought tears to my eyes and Im not a drummer!

Last Summer I bought tickets in Oakland to see Jeff Beck for me and my 18 year old son. I got them off Craig's List not knowing exactly what seats I was getting, They turned out to be in the first row in the right section. Nobody else can play SRV as well as he did and no one else can play Jeff Beck as well as Jeff Beck can though Phil Brown comes close. SRV and Beck is an apples and oranges kind of deal.

It was more like apples and mashed tatters that night. I really do love JB though.

Stevi Ray with a Marshall and a Dumble behind him Im sure there is a Fender round there somewhere.

stevie1.jpg

Nomad said:
10-4 I saw SR in Atlanta his last Atlanta Gig. What a great show.

Im an old Jeff Beck fan but Stevie Ray smoked JB.

That being said Terry Bozzio's Drum Solo brought tears to my eyes and Im not a drummer!

Off topic but I went to a Terry Bozzio drum clinic about 13 years or so ago (when he was doing the melodic drumming videos) and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. It was right around the time Sex and Religion came out I believe.

I bet that was nice. Bozzio is completey out of this world.

At the JB SRV Concert Bozzio does this Drum Solo in the middle of the JB set. His drumset consisted of a drum set above him and a regular (big) set below him. It was like he was playing two drum sets at the same time. When he brought his sticks down onto his toms he could then bring them up onto another set of toms. It was insane.

Im not a drummer and I wasnt kidding when I said I cried after his solo. I literally broke out into tears.

One hell of a Drummer that Bozzio is.

pstuker said:
Just put a set of GT6V6 #5's in my Mark I and I am definately getting the magic sound. Best $60.00 I ever spent!
-Paul
I have an original Mark I head, from 8/77 signed by RCS.
I sent it to Mike Bendinelli for a clean up and he told me he will set it to mimic the Lotus sound. He put 6L6 red code and it sounds so sweet.
Regards

+1 on the anvil. When trusting your treasures to Fed ex or Ups you can never be too careful! ( You don't want to hear my loooonnng tale of woe! Just trust me on this one!)

Xqzdust said:
+1 on the anvil. When trusting your treasures to Fed ex or Ups you can never be too careful! ( You don't want to hear my loooonnng tale of woe! Just trust me on this one!)

What happened?

Latest posts

Back